What is the best way to get into the IT Field?. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Technology > Technology Careers and Education
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2019, 03:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default What is the best way to get into the IT Field?.

What is the best way to get into the IT Field?.(I'm thinking IT Support)
Should I volunteer to get experience, get CompTIA certifications, go back to school?.
I'm currently studying for the CompTIA ITF+ certificate and I want to save money up for the CompTIA A+ certificate. Are there any other ways to get into the IT Field?.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: What is the best way to get into the IT Field?.

Help Desk support, starting at tier 1. Not all places require credentials to get in (some do - check what's available in your area and see what their requirements are).

CompTIA A+ etc. certs can be a resume line-item and get you an interview, but not necessarily required. Volunteering would get you some experience and you could always add that on your resume, which would help get into the field.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ilyy View Post
What is the best way to get into the IT Field?.(I'm thinking IT Support)
Should I volunteer to get experience, get CompTIA certifications, go back to school?.
I'm currently studying for the CompTIA ITF+ certificate and I want to save money up for the CompTIA A+ certificate. Are there any other ways to get into the IT Field?.
I agree with Carnage. Also, get as much practical experience as you can. By that I mean learn to tinker with different tech related items/fields. Learn to build/tear down a computer. Play with making different home networks and how to configure them. Read up on different operating systems, learn the basics of different flavors of Linux, grab some crash courses on the basics of a programming language or two.

I'm not saying to not go to school, but broaden your horizons along the way. By doing this you will deepen what you learn as well as get a better feel for what you really want to do. I love hardware but I have played with some programming... enough to know that I had a hard time with Java. But it helped me better understand the hows and whys of programming, which helped me to better understand how it and hardware works together.
Win10 Pro x64 / Razer Mamaba Wireless / Tecware 87 Key Mechanical

R.I.P. Father Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Everything mentioned by carnage and trotter is solid, but if you do go the school route just keep in mind that they often can provide opportunities for internships.

« New to IT | - »