Welcoming thoughts from the l337 gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rouen

In Runtime
I'm looking for some input as to what a good next step would be in my certification itinerary. I'll start by stating current experience and knowledge.

-- I'm Network+ Certified 1 month ago.
-- Currently preparing for the A+ exam (w/ Depot Tech as the optional test)
-- Most of my experience is with XP Pro. I have some interest in Linux, I haven't picked a flavor to practice with.
-- Starting PC Building about 4 years ago.
-- Currently awaiting job placement as a security cleared bench tech. (Means I'm hired but waiting for an open slot)
-- Some novice programming experience with Java and C++. My skill with Java is more prominent of the two.

I'm still unsure where my career is going to take me at this point. Right now I'm just getting to get the basics under my belt and on paper so I can increase my salary and get my own home. I'm about to have a dependent very soon. Aside from that, I would like some input from some of the more experienced IT guys here as to a next step.

I'm currently thinking about Security+ just to have a third cert to put on the resume. I would like to get the CCNA but I do not have the equipment needed to practice with so I can get some true hands-on networking experience. I haven't looked too much into what Server+ will involve, but I might soon. Any suggestions are welcome.

( CISSP is looking pretty nice but might be out of my league right now. )

Ya, i finally got hired on here after 11 months. I think i'm going to probably get my network+ first then start working on cisco certs.

If you are interested in initiating a step toward getting your CCNA, your won't need equipment right away. In fact, you really won't need anything to practice on until the latter portion of the second course. The first course is strictly professor to student. In the time it will take you to get through up to the point where you will need some "out of classroom" practice, you will be able to afford an obsolete and used model router that will allow you to practice with the IOS. Even if you still can't get one of your own, the school should be able to provide some sort of in-lab time. You also have online practice router IOSs from the cisco academy website. Don't let the acquiring of hardware discourage you from getting started. From what I remember, I don't think that I had my own personal used router until the last week in the second course.

My A+ and Network+ training is/was self study. My local community college provides training for CCNA but it's 4 courses total and is only offered one semester a year. Makes sense doesn't it? This equates to being about 1.2k to 1.4k. While class time for CCNA would do me good, I'd like to do it on my own since it's slightly out of my price range.

Are there virtual products I can use to prepare? Something other then Boson?

This is one thing thats great about working for the gubment. They will pay for any classes i want to take :)

Another thought. My ability to perform duties as a tech improves drastically when I round myself instead of focusing on one field. I understood a lot more about how an OS works just learning some Java and C++, I learned how to better defend a system by not just reading up on antivirus/spyware protections, registry fixes and basic security practices, but by also going over whitepapers about honeypots. To further such a learning, what should I do after I'm finished with A+ (Already have Network+). Going back to the top, would Security+ be a worthy venture, or should I just right into something more deep like CCNA?

Do the CCNA. It's not a bad thing to have lots of smaller certifications, but having the CCNA in there along with all the others will make a BIG difference. Now I'm just quoting my lecturer there, and he's done CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, etc. Nutcase kinda guy, but I'd go with him on this :)

Heh, call me dumb but the CCIE is a new one on me. Cisco says only 3% of it's certified candidates have the CCIE. I suppose CCNA would be the best way to go. I hope the Net+ satisfies as boot camp for it. Any one recommend good training material for the CCNA? My learning style is much different because I'm moderate-to-severe dyslexic. For me to understand new material, ALL bases must be covered in the explaination of a topic such as a specific protocol. I'm a "Why?Why?Why?" learner. It's a pain, since I'm 22 and still haven't discovered what learning style works for me.

Edit: Would working on the CCENT first be a good step toward CCNA? I'm concerned CCNA might be out of my league.

CCNA at my colledge is covered in 4 steps, first focusing on just general network stuff, then specifically on routers, then switches, then wireless and WANs. If you have a general knowledge of networks before starting, you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom