Wages?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very true. First IT Job I was at was poor pay. However it was the experience that I was after. When it comes down to IT later on in life, employeers normally look pass the certifications and look more at what experience you have.
Agreed.

Also while you are upset you've studied for years in IT, experience is what usually counts 4 out of 5 times. THat is one of the crappier parts of degrees, they don't mean squat until you actually graduate. You could study and have 120 credits and only have two or three classes to finish a BS in computer science or some sort, but until you actually have that degree people won't look at that at all. At least in my experience until you have the degree it doesn't matter. 1 or 2 classes away employers generally will look at that as if you were years away. They only care about what you have. Same with certifications, doesn't matter what you are studying, just matters what you have.

Helix put it best, it is about supply and demand. I would venture to say they are paying you 8 dollars because that is around what techs make in the area, otherwise no one would be working at your company and everyone would be working for the people paying higher wages... good ol supply and demand.

The best thing you are going to get out of this job is NOT financial security, but real world experience which will pay dividends when you land your first 'big' job.

Keep your head up, we aren't here to beat you down - just trying to show you how the IT world works. Ask questions, study hard, and try to better yourself at this job. My best advice would be to get at least a years experience (if you can afford it since you said you had a lot of bills) working at this job and learn as much as you can. During that time try to get at least two simle certifications, something like Net+ and an OS certification like XP, Vista or Win 7 (probably will have stuff out around february 2010) - I say XP or Vista because while they are old(er) technologies at this point this will make you an MCP, something that people look highly upon for the most part.

This way you can go into a new job and probably get a big pay increase because you have experience, your A+ (since you already have it), Net+ and you can say you are MIcrosoft Certified (looked highly upon in most tech fields).

Yeah I really don't think you guys are here to beat me down, I appreciate the honesty. The experience I've already got has been amazing..way more than I could get from any books. Hopefully soon I can start contributing more on the forums. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom