Virtualization and the "Cloud" threatening jobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jairic

Baseband Member
The company that I work for had been exploring a virtaulized desktop environment, but thankfully abandoned it (too expensive). While they were pursuing that, I was constantly worried that there'd be a break through and they'd cut IT staff (I'm Service Desk Tech POS, so I'd be first to go). Now, there's a new worry; Google Docs. I was stunned the other day when I heard that the company (an international company) is going to switch most of its users over to Google Docs. A significant portion of my job is supporting MS Office related issues, so I'm guessing that if we do migrate to Google Docs, I'm out of a job (before they realize Google Docs can't give them what they need).

So my question (long winded as it may be) is: Do you think that cloud based apps and virtualization are going to start eliminating jobs? My guess is that as people like me (bottom rung) get axed, the pay scale for you upper echelon folks is going to decrease because there will be a huge decrease in demand. I'm hoping I'm very, very, wrong; I'm looking to you more knowledgeable folks for your opinions.

How would converting to google docs mean you would lose your job? Your job isn't based off of the software, you just support it. You don't think people will still have questions about how to accomplish things in google docs? No, they still will have issues so they call you to get them resolved. Weather it's google docs, microsoft products or some other application it doesn't matter. People will still need the service desk to assist them in doing things.

I just don't get how you correlate switching applications to a loss of your job. Regardless of the application people will still need you to support it. The only change is you now have to support a new application.

The same goes for virtualization, how does that mean you don't have a job? **** still breaks, there will still be hardware that these environments are running on which you will still need to support.

I completely disagree with your assessment. If anything it would mean loss of the 'upper echelon' jobs because using a virtual environment would mean less OS deployment because it's all off of one image and one (or multiple) severs.

Hi Lex, thanks for your reply. I should have phrased that as more of a fear I'm hoping someone will allay, rather than a statement of fact. I've only been in the field for 3 years, and just kind of saw it as a potential threat to IT jobs. I definitely appreciate your opinion and I consider my question answered. Thanks for you time, much appreciated!

Haha no worries.

I think you need to worry about outsourcing as more of a threat. Now that 90% of jobs can be done remotely with the exception of hardware technicians like desktop support or server support a lot of companies are outsourcing these jobs to cheaper areas (whether that be to locations in the US that are cheaper or using oversea's locations that are cheaper). Think about it - if done properly a good server will last 3 to 5 years without hardware replacement. I mean stuff happens but downtime is minimal and almost anyone can replace hardware.

While software is meant to make our job easier and essentially allow less people to do the same job you will always need people like you and me to support that software, because inevitably it will break and people will have questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom