Two year AS degree in IT security

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the AS stand for? Associates of Science?

Yes it is well worth it. As I see the heirarchy of technology goes like this:

1. Experience, nothing comes close to it. IT is one of the few fields where you will see someone with only a high school diploma making 100K or more a year. Obviously there are exceptions to this but it happens in IT far more than other industries. You are seeing a trend though going away from this as Bachelors and Masters comes more prevalent.
2. Bachelors in Computers, this is becoming more and more common today. It should be from an ACCREDITED institution, meaning there are certain guidelines the school has to follow.
3. Bachelors in other fields, while a bachelors in IT is preferred, TONS of company's look VERY HIGHLY upon a bachelors degree from an ACCREDITED institution in any field.
4. Associates / Certifications, i feel both are about equal. It really depends on the company honestly, some i believe look at certifications as more relevant while others will look at schooling as more relevant. If i had to choose i would put associates above certifications, slightly. And when i say certifications i'm not just talking about an A+, i'm saying MCITP, MCSE, CCNA - those type of certifications

Associates of Science is correct. I am completing an AS in IT Security and an AS in Computer Programming & Analysis.....
I am taking classes for both and now that I am at the half way point is where things will slow down. but all of my prerequisite classes apply to the second degree.

I was going to go for the Bachelor in Computer Science but do not have the time or money. I can only take the classes part time.

I am half way thru classes for the AS. Just getting into the computer part of it.

Well if a bachelors isn't an option for you, do yourself a favor and try to get a part time job working on PC's right now. You want to be able to have on your resume that you had some type of experience. I'd look into maybe getting your A+ or Net+ as well.

My professor states that after completing the course I will be ready to take the A+ and Net+ Certs.

I am working on the Part Time job. I currently work in a half ass call center. but my title is CSR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom