Thinking about joining the Marine Corp after graduating....input needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanb

Beta member
Hey guys, so heres my situation.. (warning: semi-long post)

I've always wanted to join the USMC (United States Marine Corps), but the thing is that, I never wanted to join after high school because your options are pretty much limited and they treat you like crap.

Computers are definitely my favorite hobby in the world and I would want to pursue a career in that field for sure....somewhere along the lines of penetration testing, security assessment, hardware/software development, IT management/Database management etc....

The thing is, I am going to be graduating from university (University of California System) with a degree in Computer Engineering, and I am seriously considering joining the united states marine corps (with the degree) as a commissioned officer (provided I make it).

I want to ask you guys (if anyone has any knowledge in this area) what are the PROS and CONS of joining the military, the marines specifically..with a degree in computer engineering, Is it a good move ? How is the salary compared to a civilian job? How are my chances of getting a civilian job after I'm done with the military? Is this type of thing common ? (especially for us computer geeks :eek: ?)

I know I'm going to gain tons of leadership skills and opportunities to a.) further my education (they pay for most of it) and of course b.) have fun playing with lots of high tech tools (hopefully)

I am either going to join the USMC right after graduation OR pursue my Masters Degree in computer engineering and THEN join the USMC, is this a good Idea? Ive always wanted to be a fighter pilot, but after tons of tests from the marine doctors themselves, I cant fly (due to my vision) but I might be able to be a flight navigator on a 2 seater fighter jet...which is 6 years minimum commitment, now this may sound a bit too far reached...but how many computer engineers really want to do this type of thing? and I don't know if any company would hire me after flying for the USMC as a flight navigator or working with their 'tech' jobs.

Anyway, you get the picture, I'd greatly appreciate any input from the experts out there, I've been trying to make a decision for a long time.

Thanks! :)

Well not everyone is fit for the army...

There are those who would risk their lives to protect the people of their country, and there are those people who need to be protected so they could give something for the people in the army to fight for. It's a cycle really, we need each other, it's not just JOIN THE ARMY JOIN THE ARMY. Not saying you shouldn't...

Anyways, good luck with your career, I think operating computers in a fighter jet for six years would look better than working for Best Buys for six years on your resume. But that is just me :p

i didnt say army specifically, i said military, that means army, navy, air force, marines, and coast guard

surely everybody can find something to do in the military,
look at israel, everybody is required to enlist there, and they are a fine country

Ahh, too bad this forum doesn't allow political debates.....and for a good reason...

RockyZ said:
Well not everyone is fit for the army...

There are those who would risk their lives to protect the people of their country, and there are those people who need to be protected so they could give something for the people in the army to fight for. It's a cycle really, we need each other, it's not just JOIN THE ARMY JOIN THE ARMY. Not saying you shouldn't...

Anyways, good luck with your career, I think operating computers in a fighter jet for six years would look better than working for Best Buys for six years on your resume. But that is just me :p

Wow, I asked a couple of serious questions and you guys start arguing about politics ? :eek: :confused: Not what I expected....can someone knowledgeable in this area maybe reply ? That would be appreciated..

RockyZ: That does sound fun and everything, but what would employers think if they get a potential 'job candidate' who operated computer systems/weapons systems in the USMC ? I mean thats not anything like managing a database, maintaining the company network or being the head I.T guy right? I mean, who does that in the I.T industry ?? Thanks for the reply though

@StylinGolfShoes: ROTC isnt an option for me at this point..I should have put that on my question..thanks though :bald:

I can't say for a certainty what kind of jobs there are in the USMC for computers. Me, even after breaking my back, I'm looking at joing the Navy or Air Force after college. You will need to talk to your recruiter for that information.

First thing - If you join with a degree, go to basic, and then OCS (officer candidate school) and become an office, you probably won't have the respect of the men you command. If you are wanting a desk job or otherwise in the rear with the gear, you should be fine.
Second - joining with a degree means you start at a higher pay grade, and retire at a higher pay grade. That's a pro. If you are wanting to make a career out of it, then you may want to weigh carefully. Help plot out your career path, and having a senator or representative or two on your side doesn't hurt. :p
Third - USMC would have to be the toughest branch in the military as for basic. Jarhead, and other derogitory names are used. Marines have their job just like every other branch. There is alot of pride and honor in being a Marine, but because you are Air Force or Navy, Army or Coast Guard doesn't diminish that pride or honor, just your job title.
Fourth - as a Marine, expect to be thrown in the 5h1T. The Marine training standard - Every soldier is a Rifleman

Personally - I was going to get my degree, join the AF or Navy for four years, and then go to the private market for a job. In computers. Two months into my freshman year of college I broke my back. I thought that ruined my chances. Carried on with college. 2 and a half months ago I talked with an AF recruiter. I can still join, as long as I can pass my physical and entrance physical requirements. Oldest age for enlistment - 26. Oldest age for Officer - 32. That is across the board. Something to think about

Good Luck and Hope things work for ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom