Are these Certifications enough to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

COCOCOOKIE

In Runtime
I'm trying to get my A+ / Network+ and Windows XP Professional Certifications...I was wondering if those are enought qualifications to start as a Tech...I just need to start working "in the field" and gain experience and after that I'm intending to get a degree. Does anyone have a better path or any advice? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

COCOCOOKIE said:
I'm trying to get my A+ / Network+ and Windows XP Professional Certifications...I was wondering if those are enought qualifications to start as a Tech...I just need to start working "in the field" and gain experience and after that I'm intending to get a degree. Does anyone have a better path or any advice? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

I think you have a good idea. I would not rely that much on certifications though (nothing wrong in getting them for the knowledge). But if you get a job out of them, great, but I would still stay focused on that college degree you're talking about. ThatÂ’s the thing that is going to get you the interviews. So maybe put college up there as #1 on your list, then if you still have free time, certifications or a job would be next. Once you're part of the college, it becomes much easier to get any kind of job you want as the professors and faculty will usually supply the hard working students with jobs and internships. If you do not find you have this opportunity then you could always go back to your original plan while getting the 4 year degree.

This all depends how old you are. If you're still in highschool, then I would go for the certifications because you really have nothing to lose but all to gain. But if you're much older and time is an issue, then I would go straight for the degree like I explained. Hope this helps.

Hi! Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it. It's true what you recommended but, like you wrote at the end of your message, unfortunately I'm 30 years old. The reason why I didn't start in this field before...it's a long story...Anyway, right now I'm working for a catering company and even though I can't complain at all, I can't wait to get out of this industry and begin to do what I love...which is: working with computers, of course! lol!
So, I decided to get these certifications so I can apply for a technician position or start a small business, etc., you know what I mean? The way I see it, since I can't quit my job or study full time because I need the money, I chose the "fastest" way to get out of my current job little by little and once I'm working in the field, I'll try to get my degree as soon as possible. Does it make sense? By the way, I'm planning to finish these certifications by early 2007 (I'm taking A+ test in two months and then I'll start with Network+)
Taking in account this "new" information...any advice or better options? Some similar personal experiences anyone? Anyone going through the same situation? THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

I started out with just my A+. I was able to get a tech job at a local computer shop. I learned a lot about end user systems. I was able to use that experience to get a job with the county school system, which looks really good on a resume. I gained some networking experience at the county and was able to get a job at a corporate support company. There I have gained great knowledge of servers, routers, networks, and a large amount of corporate software. I still only have my a+ and I am studying toward my MCSE. Once you get your foot in the door, it can only go up from there if you learn from everything you do. I'm only 21 and I've landed a 30k+/year job (Which isn't much to the older crowd, but tons for a 21 year old). At night I have gained my AS in Business Admin. I am going to work toward my BBA/MIS after my Cisco and Security related certs. I want to work as a manager in INFO SECURITY.
I have a friend with no degree and only 4 yrs exp in IT Management with his MCSE 2000 and just got a job with a nationwide company for 60k/year. It only goes up for him from there! In Augusta, GA 60k is almost enough to consider you rich. Anyway, good luck!

Whatever you do, don't fall for the ITT tech scam. Go to an accredited college, that actually has transferable credits. Community college for english and math is a good cheap route, then find a real college w/ a good comp science dept in your area and transfer over. I sure wish I had.
As for getting your foot in the door, check out some tech temp companies in your area (or national). They tend to have a lot of one time install or roll out positions that can help you gain experience.

Thank you for the advice,BLITZKRIEG1! I once considered going to ITT but somebody told me that wasn't the best choice...I didn't know it was that bad! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom