IT Terminology

Ms.Tech

Solid State Member
Hello Everyone,
To say I am new to the IT world would be a lie. So, lets say, I am knew to perusing a career in the IT field. I currently have a part time position at an IT helpdesk but there isn't a possibility of it becoming more then just a part time position but every time I look at other possible jobs they all require this certification. My problem is that I know a good bit of the material covered on A+ but I lack terminology. Any suggestions for picking up on terminology quickly?

A+ in my opinion is worthless. Any IT professional worth anything should be able to pull apart a PC and fix it. Study for the Network+ and Securtiy+, You want to learn terminology? Network+ is the cert for you lol. The whole test and all the study books are nothing but IT related Terms. OSI, MPLS, TCP/IP, UDP, VPN, VLAN, MAN, WAN, LAN, etc.

A+ and Net+ are nothing but terminology and troubleshooting IMO. There is no easy way of going around this. Create some flash cards, but a computer for dummies book are your only two options IMO.

Any A+ book or Net+ book would have all of the termonologies (or most) that you would need to pass any class. ProfessorMesser.com also has a ton of free material on both exams.

There are no shortcuts and any shortcut you take now will only hinder your advancement in this field. I see a lot of people doing those test crams or the brain dumps for microsoft exams. Both break microsofts exams policy but people do it anways. Those are the same people that will get into a job and fail miserably because they didn't understand the material they tested on.

A+ and Net+ are nothing but terminology and troubleshooting IMO. There is no easy way of going around this. Create some flash cards, but a computer for dummies book are your only two options IMO.

Any A+ book or Net+ book would have all of the termonologies (or most) that you would need to pass any class. ProfessorMesser.com also has a ton of free material on both exams.

There are no shortcuts and any shortcut you take now will only hinder your advancement in this field. I see a lot of people doing those test crams or the brain dumps for microsoft exams. Both break microsofts exams policy but people do it anways. Those are the same people that will get into a job and fail miserably because they didn't understand the material they tested on.

Having done A+, N+, MCTS as part of an apprenticeship, I can pretty much conclude that they are of no use what so ever. They have not benefited me at all at work. You learn any abreviations you need to know just by doing the job, and companies always have their own way of doing things, so learning about Microsoft systems is super limiting and tends to not be that useful in a real world environment. Perhaps the higher up qualifications are worth their salt.

Experience and having a strong interest in computing is what is most important for a job like mine (1st to 3rd line support, mainly 1st and 2nd).

I agree but going off of the original post in this thread they said they had no or very little experience. If they are having issues with terminology they need to start off small.

Thank you both for the warnings and the help. Since I am relatively new to the field I lack a lot of documented experience and though the terms can be learned on the job I have always been told that in the IT world they look at two things: certs and exp. That is my main reason for seeking these certs plus, it will give me some practice on taking the compTIA exams and hopefully help me to feel a little better about future IT exams that I may need or choose to take.
Lexluether, I don't plan on taking any short cuts. I want to learn this stuff and really learn it. I am not a fan of halfway doing anything because I know that if you do something halfway you only get half of the expected results.
Thank you both again. I at least have a few places I can look for study material and definitions and I also have a copy of the A+ bible now so that should benefit me greatly.

Start off small. I would start off with A+ and Net+. Mike Meyers has some great material on these exams. professormesser.com is a great FREE resource as well.

ProfessorMesser.. is that a good place to start training and getting some certs?

Back
Top Bottom