technology computer degrees, programs, certifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
stormy78 said:
Well, by looking, I mean putting in applications, sending resume's etc. I sit by the phone day after day and keep my cell phone turned on for any contacts: Nothing. I can send a mile long list to everyone here stating everywhere I've been in the past year and a half If you don't believe me, you can ask a 'very good friend' of mine.

Yes, I do have pride in myself and standards of where I will only work, but in times like this when the economy is in shambles and university students dominate the workforce, that pride is washed away and the only alternative is to work where I can. Does anyone here have any idea what I'm going through here? Broke, barely enough money to put food on your table, buy clothes, take care of two animals that care dearly for and pay your bills? The only things I have to be thankful for is a loving father who provides his home for a place to live. I think anyone else would be out on the street or sleeping in a homeless shelter. Now, I don't mean to drag this topic along while trying to get it back on subject, but so help me god I will get my point across. Try living in my situation and maybe you'll open your eyes.

Sometimes you have to be a salesperson to get a job, and sales people don't send SPAM, they knock on doors. Once an employeer sees you are agresive they will think you will be the same on the job, then think twice or hire you just to get you off their back.

1. Send resume', wait a week.
2. Call and follow up with did they get your resume'. If they don't remeber it send it again, wait another week.
3. Time to start keeping track of those resumes' you've sent twice, don't call for second time go to place of business in person.
4. Be persistent, agresive, and don't take no for an answer unless its for good reason.
5. When you visit the place of business, make sure you have a copy of the resume', they can't say they didn't get it now.
6. Follow up again in a week till they come out and say sorry we are not hiring or plain out tell you NO!

IMO, the best way to get a job is to NOT follow the sheep.

You need to stand out, companies have stacks of resumes. 100s or 1000s, of them. You do not want to be just another resume do you.

Being creative to get a job is what I think it takes to get a job in this market. And creative is a very flexible term.

Unfortunately Networking is important - Social networking. The last 5 It jobs I had, was through friends or ex co-workers etc. who gave a recomendation. Find all those co-workers you ever worked with...

Nepotism, the old boy's network, etc are unfortunately pretty common from what I've seen. As an IT Manager in a previous job, I admit that I filled positions with people I knew or on the recommendation of a co-worker or friend. Taking a gamble with a pile of 500+ resumes which all have certs didn't appeal to me - terrible of me, and I do feel bad...especially with all the people looking nowadays. I did interview recommended people, of course, and got adept and witholding my smile when they asked for 60k plus.

I hope those that are looking for work, find it. I was unemployed for almost a year, and I know it can get disheartening...

chalk

Im also out for jobs, but in Singapore.. The labour market in SG is also very bad. Although our government kept emphasizing that companies are re-employing again, well ya, they are... But surely they dun expect a degree graduate with IT knowledge to become an admin assistant and taking phone call, record schedules... So, basically, bullshit to me.

I had a piece of worthless Bsc ISM from UOL, LSE. Worthless coz they dun teach much abt IT or programming... My IT knowledge were obtain by web surfing, A+, N+ and MCP(WIN2K pro, Server and network) courses i attended... having conflicts with the private school that allow me to do my MCSE course now, they cant continue my MCSE course but i had paid.. And they wanted me to transfer my credits to CCNA but at the same time, they dun have enuff students to start off... Absolutely pissed...

The last interview i had, that fellow offered me SG$1400 for consultation position.. I didnt accept it, coz its bloody low... daylight robbery. *sigh sigh sigh*

So basically, im doing freelance now.. Doing System consultation for peeps if there is any. Sigh.... the last project i had was 1 mth ago... and the payout is low and troublesome... Singaporean's mentality is, want cheap and good.... Im a Singaporean but i can't stand it. *urgghhhh*

I just quickly read through this thread. The ones here that are looking for work, have you not considered volunteering or looking for an internship to gain some experience?

I've been looking for work as web designer/developer for a while now with no luck. Now I'm moving into networking. When I've finish my certfication I plan on just knocking on peoples doors asking for volunteer work. Faxing/emailing resumes doesn't work. You need to get in their face. Just my two cents.

I am in my junior year of high school, and was thinking of going into the IT/network field after getting a degree in colledge. Now, with the market the way it is(although the market might be better in five years) would it be worth my while to get my A+ and a 4 year degree in IT/networking?

I just graduated And have my MCSA... one more test now for MCSE. I'm doubting myself because I have been AGRESSIVELY searching for jobs to no avail for over 5 months. 23k for school and i cant get a job to earn any of my money back :( By all means go get an IT degree, its better to persue knowledge than wish you had. The market will get better eventually *prays* :) Til then, anyone in Maryland wanna hook a fellow techie up with a little job?? :D

I read through the thread and I dont feel all that good now. I am a freshman in college with a MIS major declared. I love computers and I have been living with it for years. It is my hobby. But as far as what the word is out there, the IT industry looks like its in a not much promising state.. Correct me if I am mistaken...

First of all I wana ask straight forward this..

Is it worth making a career in MIS or CS ?
My self I am not really into coding, programming but I always have the potential interest to it.. but it just seems too painful sometimes... not sure..

And I am interested in security. Is it a more solid field in IT ? Security sector ?

What are the distinctive differencies between the main IT fields?

I dont really know about the field yet, all I know is I love computers and business.

Any explanaatory ideas, suggestions, information is appreciated.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom