technology computer degrees, programs, certifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my eyes nothing beats out a degree. You can have a degree in janitorial skills and still be able to get certified if you put your mind to it. A CS degree beats certs but not experience. If your school has any kind of internships I would look into them to see if you can get entry level experience. If they dont have an IT internship take what they have and try to kick it with the IT people there and try to get good with them and they can point you in the right direction to maybe get an opportunity coming up there or something they might know of from a friend. They may have a project that is coming up with that you can volunteer on to get some experience. As you can see we in IT love to help out. That should be all college students thinking when going for that degree and getting any experience you can. Th

IMO, certifications are great for specific position that you want to work. However CS, IT degrees from college are great but doesn't really help you land a job quickly. For a person who's been working in the IT industry, I think employers are gearing more towards certification now and looking pass the college degree. How can you prove that you have experience with Microsoft, Novell, Cisco products? With certification, not a CS, IT degree. How can you prove it even if you did take classes for these specific vendors with a computer degree?

Don't ONLY get your AA. Go for a FOUR YEAR degree. Nowadays, a 4 year degree is JUST TO ENTER the playing field. Most employers (same with Electrical/Computer Engineering) will prefer a student with a Masters degree.

Don't shoot for the low stuff, be ambitious, get that four year degree. You will have a lot more to learn and more respect.

I'm not saying you won't be respected in PC repair or basic IT admin, but don't underestimate the power of a 4 year degree or a masters. You will have much more flexibility, careerwise. Also, if you get the 4 year / masters, certifications almost mean nothing. Sure, it might help, but it won't be the deciding factor.

In short, GET A 4 YEAR DEGREE / MASTERS. How do you know you wont like computer engineering? You don't know that yet, you're only in HS. Don't base your assumptions on your AP Computer Science course. You don't even touch the tip of the iceberg.

ok,am gonna get that 4 year degree,but what is better???, 4 years on a online university or 4 years on a real university???,they both teach the same right?

ok,am gonna get that 4 year degree,but what is better???, 4 years on a online university or 4 years on a real university???,they both teach the same right?
I'm just jumping in here, but they do not teach the same in terms of physically attending classes, hopefully, you get hands-on experience, interaction with other folks and your professor, etc.

However, it's all about what you put into it. You can just pass the class with an A and learn near nothing or really apply yourself and be superior in that field, regardless of physical or online.

But if you have the option, I'd at least try the in-person view and see what its like. :freak:

hey guys hate to troll on the post but im going to college in about a year. And the airforce requires for me to have a bachelors in any field before i can become an officer. i was thinking about a programming degree but now that you guys are talking about the shortage of jobs, is it because theres too many programmers out there?

but now that you guys are talking about the shortage of jobs, is it because theres too many programmers out there?
There are no shortage of computer-related jobs in the US. Check the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

hey guys hate to troll on the post but im going to college in about a year. And the airforce requires for me to have a bachelors in any field before i can become an officer. i was thinking about a programming degree but now that you guys are talking about the shortage of jobs, is it because theres too many programmers out there?
Yep, as jaeusm said, until we program perfect - no bugs/kinks to work out - it's a great field to be in. (And that won't be anytime soon...us programmers want our job. :D)

Cool to know about the AF/officer degree requirement!

I'm just jumping in here, but they do not teach the same in terms of physically attending classes, hopefully, you get hands-on experience, interaction with other folks and your professor, etc.

However, it's all about what you put into it. You can just pass the class with an A and learn near nothing or really apply yourself and be superior in that field, regardless of physical or online.

But if you have the option, I'd at least try the in-person view and see what its like. :freak:

yeah,thanks for the advice,i just ask because i can get a scholarship opportunity but only on a net university,anyway,am gonna take a student loan in order to get my bs in computers,i wanna be a good geek you know.

Hi

I don't have any major qualifications, i left school with some crap GCSE grades and a Advanced GNVQ in IT. I found an IT job as soon as i left school and have slowly worked my way up without any form of certification.

Saying that, i have just started a new job with a small IT company and i am starting Uni (part time) in September doing a Bsc Hons degree in Computing (4 years)

Hopefully at the end of my course, i will be able to get a better job with better pay!

At last an appropriate thread and forum in which to post this question :).

First up I'm from the UK: location might have a bearing on the answer.

I've recently become interested in web design and have just begun delving into the code. I'm really enjoying it and IMHO I have the logical nouse required.

So I figure that's a pretty good indicator that programming *may* be for me. Although I'll get into it some more before making my mind up.

Here's the question: When it comes to availability of jobs and job satisfaction, which, if any, would you recommend, web design (in which case I'd sink my teeth into HTML, CSS etc.) or general computer programming (I've become convinced by the case for beginning in C++).

Thanks for your help :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom