Taking Network+ in less than a week

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteFlare

Baseband Member
I will be graduating college with a Networking degree and I have been studying for 7 weeks for the Network+ exam which I will be taking this Friday.

I have taken many practice exams and have gotten passing scores.

Is there anything I should heavily focus on? I've heard some people getting only 1 subnetting question and others getting 60% of their test subnetting.

I've also heard to know all the major ports along with the OSI model.

What else should I focus on? Any security protocols or anything else?

Thanks guys.

Sounds like you got it down. As you know we can't give you specifics on the exam - that would break the 'contract' you bind into when taking the exam from CompTIA.

Just know how to subnet and you'll do fine with subnetting. Meaning feel comfortable with someone giving you a scenario then being able to derive everything from it (IE the amount of subnets, hosts within each subnet, etc).

Know the OSI model up and down and specifically what each level does, don't just memorize the name.

Google professor messer. He has video tutorials on every exam topic and explains them way better than the book that i read did. My book went into stupid detail and didn't explain things very well. I had to read the subnet part about 5 times before actually understanding it. I watched messer's video once and understood it. He also has over an hour of video - all quality IMO.

Hey thanks man! I appreciate it.

In school, the teacher taught us how to subnet in decimal form, which is how I know how to do it atm. The book I'm reading says the only way you should ever subnet is in binary, so its taking a little adjusting to do it that way. All the video tutorials on subnetting I find around the internet show in decimal form also, so I'm hoping it wont matter a whole lot.

Thanks for the video tip too, I'll check it out.

Google professor messer. He has video tutorials on every exam topic and explains them way better than the book that i read did. My book went into stupid detail and didn't explain things very well. I had to read the subnet part about 5 times before actually understanding it. I watched messer's video once and understood it. He also has over an hour of video - all quality IMO.
+1 rep for you good sir, for telling us about Messer.

Messer is amazing. I spent 5 weeks reading Mike Meyers Network+ book, and watched only 10 hours of Messers videos and learned more, and I was able to hold more of the information.

Yup, and professor messer covers both Net+ and A+. I haven't tried any of his other topics because you have to pay for them.

I've never been a fan of the free literature out there until i found Professor Messer. He's top notch for sure.

Just got back from taking the test. I failed. Need 720 to pass, got 645.

It was completely different than I thought. There was absolutly no subnetting questions, no port number questions, nothing to do with IPv4 or IPv6, no cabling specifications.

It was pretty much 100 questions of acronyms.

Better luck next time. Hopefully the questions will be more fairly balanced then.

I'm sorry to hear that. Don't give up, at least now you know what to expect. Get in there and try again.

Remember it won't be the exact same test - they have like 5 or so versions, but at least you know the type of questions asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom