It support - logging work

Dayum, that *is* pretty draconian. When I first started for my current company we had a bi-weekly meeting where we had to list everything we did (minus tiny stuff like swapping a mouse etc) and what "lessons we learned" during the week. Sounds like the same type of manager :p though I didn't have it anywhere close to as bad as having to account for every 15 minute block of time...

In my projects where we're using Agile development practices, we have a 15 minute "stand up" every day where each member of the team says what they worked on yesterday, what they plan on working on today, and if they have any roadblocks. Makes it more transparent to what each person is working on, and if they're having any issues with what they're working on (like if they keep saying they're working on the same thing several days in a row, somebody can ask if they need help).

In my projects where we're using Agile development practices, we have a 15 minute "stand up" every day where each member of the team says what they worked on yesterday, what they plan on working on today, and if they have any roadblocks. Makes it more transparent to what each person is working on, and if they're having any issues with what they're working on (like if they keep saying they're working on the same thing several days in a row, somebody can ask if they need help).
That's how my brothers and wife's workplace is.
They're both QAs and work with devs

Earth :cool: might relocate to Mars if the flowing water is proven - just have to wait until Mars summer season :cool:

Join us future Martians!
Seriously though, if you were in the US, SpaceX isn't a bad place to work ;)

Ohhh it's way more than that :tongue: especially out here in McGregor where we test the rockets and engines. Gets intense! And loud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol, well my friend is talking to the boss of his company today so hopefully I get this interview which is for a junior Sys admin (Its what I plan to move into so good if I can get out of support role now).. and I may have another job interview (which is closer to home - 2nd line support), just waiting on the feedback.

If not im looking to do some contracting work to cover me over.

So at the moment.. I'm chilling at home relaxing, But will need to get a job within a few weeks so I dont get lazy! :cool:

Last edited:
You know what's really funny.
So at my new job, I am FT but we still get paid hourly, we have to work 7.5 hours a day so 37.5 a week.
I got my first paycheck but the hours didn't match for what I did, it said 60 hours but I really did 58 since I there wasn't much work to do the first week so I didn't work a full 7.5 hours.
I tell payroll and get an email from my manager that he wants to talk.
He's like thanks for being honest, he's like we want everyone working 7.5 hours so if it's quiet, you're more than welcome to go on blogs and kill time and if you need to leave early just use your sick hours. He's like we're not to serious around here so you don't have to worry about your hours too much, he's like just put 7.5 hours.
Pretty cool imo so yeah it's good you're getting out or got out of where you are right now!

As a long time businessman, this is a horrible practice.

1. Your employee will dislike it so much, they'll post topics like these on the interwebz. I doubt many will be this anonymous to the company name, nor this professional in their complaints.
2. As a manager, you need to be involved enough in your subordinates that tracking their every minute isn't necessary.
3. This requirement promotes the opposite. You'll screw around as much as possible and lie on your sheets (not you personally).

This is typically a response to poor management practices. A bad manager is being told by his (bad?) boss to make sure his folks aren't screwing around. That was probably the result of his poor oversight already. So in response, he extends the stick (in the stick/carrot analogy) to attempt to rein in the actions of the employees. However, without proper guidance, the employees react in the opposite manner than he intended.

Not much I can say as to how to weasel around it... wouldn't be as far as I am if I promoted insubordination and the like, so really, do your best in the hopes that;
A. Things change
B. You find a better job
C. You become desensitized to it and just accept it as a working condition

Perhaps also, you can just bust your *** every chance you get and volunteer for as much as you can. In a room full of dull crayons, it's not that hard to shine. Who knows, enough elbow grease just might put you in a position to make changes some day... might also just drive you nuts that nothing ever changes.

As a long time businessman, this is a horrible practice.

1. Your employee will dislike it so much, they'll post topics like these on the interwebz. I doubt many will be this anonymous to the company name, nor this professional in their complaints.
2. As a manager, you need to be involved enough in your subordinates that tracking their every minute isn't necessary.
3. This requirement promotes the opposite. You'll screw around as much as possible and lie on your sheets (not you personally).

This is typically a response to poor management practices. A bad manager is being told by his (bad?) boss to make sure his folks aren't screwing around. That was probably the result of his poor oversight already. So in response, he extends the stick (in the stick/carrot analogy) to attempt to rein in the actions of the employees. However, without proper guidance, the employees react in the opposite manner than he intended.

Not much I can say as to how to weasel around it... wouldn't be as far as I am if I promoted insubordination and the like, so really, do your best in the hopes that;
A. Things change
B. You find a better job
C. You become desensitized to it and just accept it as a working condition

Perhaps also, you can just bust your *** every chance you get and volunteer for as much as you can. In a room full of dull crayons, it's not that hard to shine. Who knows, enough elbow grease just might put you in a position to make changes some day... might also just drive you nuts that nothing ever changes.

Well put and its exactly how I see it, being a manager in my past (non-IT related). I have quit straight away and explained to the manager why. I'd rather be unemployed for a few weeks than work in a sweatshop.. I value my life over work, and thats my number one rule. :cool:

^ Just as long as you don't burn your bridges - never know if you'll ever want to use them as a reference or even work for them again in the future.

Back
Top Bottom