Study in U.S

Status
Not open for further replies.

himalya

Solid State Member
Hi guys,
I am from India and want to get admission in some U.S universities like Stanford,MIT etc. I have some ques...

1.What abt the financial aid to asian students?
2.What abt the competition, Well I m prepared to study hard!!but can anyone tell me how many students get the golden opp to study in these universities in a year??

Any sugg u wanna give..Pls guide me.

Um...not saying you are not but you have to be pretty **** smart to get into stanford.

I am not sure about the financial aid, I would think there would be none for fereign students, unless ofcourse you get a government scholarships of some sort from your own country.

The competition is tremedous, you almost have to score perfect on the standardized tests and be top in your class or know someone and be all of those things :). I believe this year these schools had the record number of admissions for undergraduate because of the ease to apply with the internet.

However, you might want to consider the Indian Institute of technology in India, I have heard nothing but good things out of these guys.

The admissions into one of these schools also depends on what program you're applying to get into, if you pick a new field that not a lot of students apply for, you could get accepted relativly easy if your scores are decent, but not perfect.

raross said:
I am not sure about the financial aid, I would think there would be none for fereign students, unless ofcourse you get a government scholarships of some sort from your own country.

The competition is tremedous, you almost have to score perfect on the standardized tests and be top in your class or know someone and be all of those things :). I believe this year these schools had the record number of admissions for undergraduate because of the ease to apply with the internet.

However, you might want to consider the Indian Institute of technology in India, I have heard nothing but good things out of these guys.

The admissions into one of these schools also depends on what program you're applying to get into, if you pick a new field that not a lot of students apply for, you could get accepted relativly easy if your scores are decent, but not perfect.

Yea IIT is probably the best technical college in the world and that is only by the fact that it has a 1% acceptance rate (MIT is considered the hardest to get into in the us, and that has a 10% admissions rate)! If you can't get accepted to IIT, you probably won't be able to study in the US.

You cant classify the best technical college in the world by the acceptance rate. However you can classify them by their research/programs and professors. IIT is a good school, but no where near MIT or Stanford. There computer science program is getting there though, but they are far behind in all the new research areas/programs.

But I do agree with you about the last comment, however some students just want to study in the US, and this might be one :).

Best..

I know that IIT is almost equivalent to any forign unv..
I wll surely give the IIT but even applying in US is not a bad idea. If you have this too as an option, why dont go for it..

I think IIT is really tough to qualify and the USA unv cant be muc harder...
I have two years more before I wll apply for any of these unv.So I am planning in advance.

This is what I heard from some of my Indian seniors
STEPS--
1.TOEFL is easy to do.
2.SAT exam is not as tough as that of IIT.
3.The most important thing You have to submit a project. Develope some software.. So I think this is where the competition is ...
As I have two years I think this time is enough for me to master some language.I am presently studying them!!

Lets see how it goes.....

Sure..

Ya, I have an eye on computr science...
What do u have to say on my previous post??

Re: Best..

himalya said:
I know that IIT is almost equivalent to any forign unv..
I wll surely give the IIT but even applying in US is not a bad idea. If you have this too as an option, why dont go for it..

I think IIT is really tough to qualify and the USA unv cant be muc harder...
I have two years more before I wll apply for any of these unv.So I am planning in advance.

This is what I heard from some of my Indian seniors
STEPS--
1.TOEFL is easy to do.
2.SAT exam is not as tough as that of IIT.
3.The most important thing You have to submit a project. Develope some software.. So I think this is where the competition is ...
As I have two years I think this time is enough for me to master some language.I am presently studying them!!

Lets see how it goes.....

I agree with this, any standardized test can be beaten by studying the actual test. IIT is probably easier to get into than a top school in the US, but not by a significant amount because of the population of India. It sounds like you are well on your way. Any student that is dedicated enough to plan ahead will be sure to do well. So I wish the best of luck to you in your studies and I am sure you will be successful at whatever you do :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom