Stuck between Computer Science and IT/IS

Status
Not open for further replies.

gravyong

Beta member
I'm stuck between what I want to major in once I transfer. IT/IS or Computer Science. I like computers, a lot, always have. I've never done any type of programming so I'm not sure how I'd like that. My school encompasses a LOT of business classes around their IT program and I'm halfway through an Associates in Business Administration for IT, so I'll be backtracking a bit if I choose CS, meaning I need to make this decision ASAP. What I'm looking for is a secure, decent paying job with a lot of room for advancement in the future.

What I like about IT is all the different fields you can get into and the general computer knowledge you learn. It's also a much easier program. I do not like that a lot of the jobs require you to be on call 24/7, that's a real killer to me for some reason.

What I like about CS is it gets down and dirty with computers, you learn about them from scratch almost. I really enjoy how thorough it is with most aspects of the computer, networking, programming, etc. You're basically what the major is called, a Computer Scientist. What I don't like is the rigorous course work and the potentially tedious nature of work. I don't mind learning math too much, I'm neither great nor terrible in it, I feel it's do able with the right effort.

Also, would it be wise to work maybe 20-30 hours while taking something such as CS? Or would taking out a student loan to pay for expenses, bills, etc to focus 100% on school be a better decision?

Just looked at the curriculum sheet and wow. IT Major seems to be comprised of 50% business classes, 30% core classes and 20% computer classes. How is that even an IT major?

CS on the other hand just looks extremely difficult

What I'm looking for is a secure, decent paying job with a lot of room for advancement in the future.
Your major does not dictate or limit your career choices.

What I don't like is the rigorous course work and the potentially tedious nature of work.
There's no getting around it. Choose the major that interests you most.

One thing, if you notice how much harder (and probably more interesting) the CS Curriculum is, I think it's a safe assumption that you will ultimately learn more about computers if you choose that major.

Get your Bachelors in whatever, and back track, and get an ATA in Computer Information Systems/Computer Science.

I know at least 25-30 people alone working as Network Technicians, Computer Programming Technicians etc. who got their Bachelors, and then got an ATA on top of it. Why?

Because an ATA 90% core courses. Vs an AS/AA that's only 5%. and a BS/BA that's only 40% if that. (all in all, they regret going through their Bachelors, when it came to finance wise)

Unless you go on for a Masters, Bachelors degree wont make any much of a difference. ATA will actually stand out more. In WA anyway.... (because of the fact you mentioned on the amount of core courses you take in a BS Degree)

Unless you're looking for IT/ET Management, or looking towards becoming an Electrical, Electronics, Computer, Network, or Programming Engineer, Bachelors wont make much of a difference.

At least in my State, WA. That's how it is. And also, if you don't get CompTIA, ETA-I, Cisco Certs, etc. If employers in your state are like thoses here in WA. You're spending 4 years in college with nothing to show for it.

On top of financing your tuition/books etc. You need to find financing for Certification examinations as well.

Strongly recommend CompTIA, and ETA-I since they are not vendor specific certifications. (Internationally recognized, and means you only need to do a few tweaks here and there to go for Vendor specific certs, like CCENT, CCNA, CCSP, CCNP, MCS, etc. etc. etc.)

And in fact, if your state is anything like WA, don't count on getting any kind of IT/ET job without Certifications. Unless you have an ATA. (they will look past a BS for an ATA, I kid you not) odds of getting anykind of IT/ET job is nil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom