Some tips for career direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

pollux

Beta member
Hey, I'm 22 years old and going to a community college to finish all my gen ed. I'm two semester on finishing my A.S. I Will be transfering all my credits to a 4 years college to pursue a B.S computer science degree. After i get my degree, should I go get my A+, Network+? I want to get into system admin.

I would get your A+ and Net+ prior to graduating. You want to make yourself as marketable as possible. I think you can do that by having your A+ and NEt+ prior to graduating. I'm not talking about 2 years prior, because they do expire. I would wait until your final 14 months or so of school and get your A+ and Net+.

If you want to be a sys admin i would also look into microsoft certifications, more specifically something like the MCITP - which is a group of certifications similar to the MSCE.
MCITP (Microsoft Certified IT Professional) | Training Courses for IT Professionals

Also for the A+ and net+ google Professor Messer, he has a TON of free material online to help for those two exams.

I checked out prof messer and he have a lot of great material. I might go straight to network+ since i read they dont expire

I work for a company that uses linux instead of microsoft products.

Ahh, i don't have any experience with linux certifications, but i believe there are some out there. I'd suggest getting a few of those if you want to continue working in linux environments.

The Net+ does expire as well, where did you read that they don't? The A+, Net+, Sec+, they all were given a 3 year expiration date after the first of this year.
If you sign up here, this company has some very affordable Linux training (signing up gives you free access to it-they have LPI 101, 102 and 201)

They all expire, but can be renewed two ways. One would be to take the exams all over again(yikes!!) or, through their CE program, you earn "credits" for certain things. Your cert gets automatically renewed after a certain amount of credits. If you have an A+, getting the N+ will automatically renew it, and so on. Stuff like working in an IT related field, being a member of a tech forum, classes all count towards renewal. It's not "Certified for life" like it used to be, but it's not all that horrible either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom