Software engineering job market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter.Cort

TF's First Dry Ice User!
Ok, so I'm about to start college and I'm debating between a few majors so far. Right now I'm lined up for secondary education (high school teacher) and I'm kinda iffy on that. After looking at the other programs my school (Champlain College) offers, I'd like to move into computers as they are one of the largest game design/game programming/game development school's on the east coast and one of the largest in the country, so they've got a pretty good technical background.

This is the link to their Software Engineering program
Software Engineering for Emerging Technologies

If you don't feel like looking through it, here's a little excerpt about it:

You will begin learning the tools of your craft in your very first semester and become skilled at designing, developing, testing, managing and maintaining both large-scale and smallscale software systems.
You'll graduate prepared to work in both Windows- and UNIX-based environments.
You will work with development tools from industry leaders Oracle, Microsoft, Borland, Rational, IBM and others.
Along with the hard skills, you will learn soft skills such as team development strategies, software project management, configuration management and technical writing.
The management and theory skills you will learn will bring you a long way toward preparation for IEEE's new Certified Software Development Professional examination.
You'll gain advanced knowledge of C++, Java and Microsoft's .NET architecture.

So my question is as follows, what's the job market for software engineers with the kind of skills that my school would set me up with?

So my question is as follows, what's the job market for software engineers with the kind of skills that my school would set me up with?
The same as it would be for anyone with a computer-related degree. What will really make a difference is the amount of experience you can gain while pursuing your degree. Internships in the summer or co-ops are extremely important, not only for your own development but also for prospective employers.

I've got about a year of work experience as a computer technician. As of now along with about a year of retail experience mainly in computer sales.

Experience is hard to come by with programming. You experience is with computer hardware - it sounds to me like the degree they are offering is program related. I think the degree sounds great but you need to make sure and get an internship during your time at school. Reason being programming is difficult to just get a random job at (unlike computer hardware). YOu have to have knowledge and a proven background before someone is going to hire you as a programmer.

While in school just make sure and hit up your college for an internship the minute you become elidgible (my school required like 3 years before you could do an internship through the school).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom