Software Developer vs Games Developer

danhodge

In Runtime
Hey guys, I've been trying to make this decision for a couple of years, and still aren't really too sure what I want to do. I'm currently in my second year of a Computer Science degree, and have been making games for a few years now (in Unity).
I enjoy making games on my own far more than I enjoy making software on my own, but I understand that the environment is different.

The main things I'm not sure about are wages (in the UK) and creative freedom (that may be an awful way of wording it). So for example, I like making my own games because I get to program a certain feature, test it, refine it, and see it work perfectly. Will I be doing that as a game developer in a team, or will i be doing more menial tasks?

Any personal anecdotes about how much they enjoy/enjoyed their jobs would be extremely useful.

Thanks,
Danny

Hey guys, I've been trying to make this decision for a couple of years, and still aren't really too sure what I want to do. I'm currently in my second year of a Computer Science degree, and have been making games for a few years now (in Unity).
I enjoy making games on my own far more than I enjoy making software on my own, but I understand that the environment is different.

The main things I'm not sure about are wages (in the UK) and creative freedom (that may be an awful way of wording it). So for example, I like making my own games because I get to program a certain feature, test it, refine it, and see it work perfectly. Will I be doing that as a game developer in a team, or will i be doing more menial tasks?

Any personal anecdotes about how much they enjoy/enjoyed their jobs would be extremely useful.

Thanks,
Danny
You'll most likely be working as part of a team in either profession; though you'll of course have your own features/tasks to work on within the team, and be expected to work on it, test it, etc. and then it will usually go to testers/QA to make sure it's "done".

Side note: since you do Unity dev...may need you to help me with that - I'm thinking about learning it :p. (Guess that means you'll get to help me for a change! lol)

You'll most likely be working as part of a team in either profession; though you'll of course have your own features/tasks to work on within the team, and be expected to work on it, test it, etc. and then it will usually go to testers/QA to make sure it's "done".

Side note: since you do Unity dev...may need you to help me with that - I'm thinking about learning it :p. (Guess that means you'll get to help me for a change! lol)

Okay, I just have this nightmare in my head that I'll be getting there and it will be like "Write this dull optimisation code" or something, I don't even know, it's so irrational, I'm not sure where it came from :annoyed:

And sure! Always trying to find somewhere I can help here :cool:

Okay, I just have this nightmare in my head that I'll be getting there and it will be like "Write this dull optimisation code" or something, I don't even know, it's so irrational, I'm not sure where it came from :annoyed:
I mean, that'll probably be part of it as well. It's not all glitz & glory lol.

And sure! Always trying to find somewhere I can help here :cool:

Schweet.

I mean, that'll probably be part of it as well. It's not all glitz & glory lol.

Fair enough :angel:
And yeah, for my group project I do this semester I'm making a SimCity clone with a load of game students using Unity, so I should get even more experience :D

A lot of it is very similar depending on the technology anyhow. The bulk of the development is back-end logic, so in either sector you'd be likely doing a similar thing!

No idea what the actual demand is for a system like Unity if I'm honest, but either way if you're building your knowledge of a C derivative language then it's all good.

I have a bachlors in game simulation and design, I have a BS in Computer engineering, and am working on another BS in Computer science ( minor Cyber security, M Ethical Hacking)
I say like this, after my AA I wernt to CET, and it was boring so if you are going to learn to be a code Monkey, why not do something fun, and go game design

I have a bachlors in game simulation and design, I have a BS in Computer engineering, and am working on another BS in Computer science ( minor Cyber security, M Ethical Hacking)
I say like this, after my AA I wernt to CET, and it was boring so if you are going to learn to be a code Monkey, why not do something fun, and go game design

Depends on where you go - lots of horror stories from some of the bigger places with game developers only being contractors, and then being let go after a project.

I agree,

Yet he needs to look to see where he wants to go, and what he wants to do,

Personally, I havent had a problem with anything. I was at the time working at a electronics recycl;ing center. hints doing hardware.

Back
Top Bottom