Skills

static360

Beta member
Hello all. New user here. Bit about myself, am in my mid 20's, bachelor degree in IT with network security concentration and a minor in industrial tech. Looking to get a full time job and looking at some of the job descriptions there are specific knowledge needed in either software or hardware. For example active directory and Citrix and such, my question is that is there a way I can find a simulator or some kind of virtual Labs of those software to learn from because some of the things they ask for they don't teach in univ and at times I feel in just wasted four years learning already outdated skills and I have no plan to spend time digging my self more into the student debt. So all in all I just want to know if there are virtual Labs or so that I can learn from to at least get a basic understanding some of the company systems that are in use. Preferably free but I Will take what I can get as long as it helps me increase my competitiveness in the job market. Thanks.

Sign up for Cisco Academy and get Packet Tracer. It simulates CLI for their switches, routers, modems, etc... Hope this helps.

For example active directory and Citrix and such, my question is that is there a way I can find a simulator or some kind of virtual Labs of those software to learn from because some of the things they ask for they don't teach in univ and at times I feel in just wasted four years learning already outdated skills and I have no plan to spend time digging my self more into the student debt. So all in all I just want to know if there are virtual Labs or so that I can learn from to at least get a basic understanding some of the company systems that are in use. Preferably free but I Will take what I can get as long as it helps me increase my competitiveness in the job market. Thanks.

Not sure about simulators, but you can always setup a server and play with it. It doesn't require much of a computer to setup a sandbox machine, in all honesty. If you want some decent courses that will help you out, I've been doing some on Udemy.com and, so far, they seem to be fairly legit. There was just a coupon code for them, too. Made them all $10. I snagged a few of them that were originally like $200-$300, including Network+ 2015 training.

Keep an eye out on here. If I find another great coupon code for Udemy, I'll post it for sure. And welcome to the forums!

Not sure about simulators, but you can always setup a server and play with it. It doesn't require much of a computer to setup a sandbox machine, in all honesty. If you want some decent courses that will help you out, I've been doing some on Udemy.com and, so far, they seem to be fairly legit. There was just a coupon code for them, too. Made them all $10. I snagged a few of them that were originally like $200-$300, including Network+ 2015 training.

Keep an eye out on here. If I find another great coupon code for Udemy, I'll post it for sure. And welcome to the forums!
Appreciate it man.

Static - windows server gives you 60 days free. You don't even have to have physical equipment to accomplish this. Get a free virtual emulator (Virtual PC, VMWare has a free one as well), install it on your PC, provide it resources and install the windows OS you want to learn.

At one point I had an entire network environment within VMWare's virtual environment on my desktop at home. I had three workstations, a domain controller and an application server. They didn't run all that great because i couldn't give them tons of resources, but they worked well enough for me to mess with and understand how to navigate the OS and setup things.

Back
Top Bottom