senior year, need a major

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slvrdrgn123: Along with degrees you should at least Get your A+ and Network+, Certifications help alot. You may even want to go further and attack harder certifications.

coughCCIEcoughCISSPcough. lol

i definetely agree with raross here. if you "dont mind math" then i would go with computer engineering/science as opposed to some kind of small pc-repair business. not only will you get a lot more money with a degree-driven job, but it is also a lot more fun. engineering especially because i believe it to be more creative and innovative than comp sci (because engineers are also problem solvers who use science to help society). good luck with your hunt, as i am also exploring my university options

I don't like math, but I'll deal with it to get to where I want to be at. Who knows, maybe I'll be like raross and turn out to like math in the end.

You should do something in the engineering field, that way you'll have a higher paying job in the end as well as stability... that's as long as you'd like being an engineer.

I enjoyed doing math, but only when it was necessary. Math was indifferent to me, however when I got to college, I began to like it. Why? Because it was more of a challenge than high school.

I mean, it gets pretty **** boring finding out the vertex of a parabola or practicing the quadratic formula. Once you get into college, you'll have to learn by yourself, and then APPLY that knowledge. In high school, you don't apply your math knowledge (at least as much as you should), so that might be the reason why you don't like it that much. Try doing a field in engineering, most of the graduates get jobs right out of college or even before (assuming you're a good student, etc).

Good luck.

Thanks, that'll be my first choice, if I find it doesn't work out, then I'll switch to science.

I think you're right as to why I don't really like math. They make you learn it, but there's nowhere to apply it so it's like a waste of time.

im in college now, and came in first quarter as a computer engineering major. this second quarter, i am a network major (security) lol. with computer anything, you better get to like math, no getting away. sry =\. i did networking in HS so i wanted to change it up a little and i didnt like it one bit. the only thing i did like was the hands on i did with Circuit boards, but for me that stuff was hard. if you cant grasp the concept of theories dealing with circuits and what not, then you should be alright. CS on the other hand i have a few friends that are in. you obviously wont be fixing up computers or anything in there. java, prolly C++ and workin on UNIX is where all your fun will be.
i was reading another forum, and a guy said there is no Computer Repair Major, so keep that in mind. if you wanna do that then just go work at a local repair place and you can do what you like. but you cash flow will be pretty slim. what i would suggest would be that you visit the college you wanna go to and talk to profs. go to class rooms, get a feel for what you think you want to do. and if all else fails. just pick something you think you will like. and if at some point you dont think you like it then change majors, classes transfer from major to major so there is no real loss. and talk to other kids in different majors and maybe they can show you some of the things they are doin in class so you can get an idea.
sry its so long, im in class and mad bored. if you got any questions, you can PM or IM me and id be happy to help you out. i dont know who all on this forum is in college or out workin, so you can get the best of both worlds opinions.

Definitely go to a 4 year university and do well. That way, you're more marketable... If you go to a technical college, you won't have that much room for advancedment then you will with an accredited 4-year engineering major.

Biomedical Engineer/Bioinformatics -- whatever they call it (it varies from Universities) are highly needed in the markets today due to the lack of experienced people. Another solid engineering major is electrical engineering.

Hope everything works out.
Let us know what you do.

Pratik said:
Definitely go to a 4 year university and do well. That way, you're more marketable... If you go to a technical college, you won't have that much room for advancedment then you will with an accredited 4-year engineering major.

Biomedical Engineer/Bioinformatics -- whatever they call it (it varies from Universities) are highly needed in the markets today due to the lack of experienced people. Another solid engineering major is electrical engineering.

Hope everything works out.
Let us know what you do.

I agree with you. Phizer (however you spell it) just came out with a cure for 3 different types of cancer (stomach, liver, kidney). They did this using biotechnology. Which will be one of the biggest things in this century. If you want to be on the cutting edge of technology, then a masters in bioinformatics or biotechnology is where you want to be.

Computer Science/engineering is old compared to this new breakthrough. The only thing I see growing into a major development field in computer science/engineering over the years is neural networks and the development of learning computers. Which is exactly what bioinformatics/biotechnology is all about. The way they classify all this information is using data classification software which has a varience of neural networks/hidden markov models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom