Seeking new career path, need guidance

zoomzilla

Solid State Member
I am at a point in my life where I want to have a career and not just a job. I have always had a love of learning and throw myself into anything I am trying to learn until it becomes second nature. I've always had an interest in software and computers but I am not a "tech junkie" and I don't have any specific skills. The areas of knowledge for software are so numerous that I don't know where to start and I was hoping someone could suggest a few different areas I could focus on. Here's the problem: I've already wasted 30k on a college degree I don't use. If there were an online associates program that I could do for less than 5 or 6k I would consider it, but at this point I was just hoping to get some feedback about the available certifications or programs I could learn on my own that would provide me with a little skill for the job market. Is this even a possibility or is an IT or computer science degree from a four year college a necessity? I'm not looking to make great money, at this point anything more than $10/hr would be a blessing. Thanks for any help and suggestions.

An associates would help - although a bachelors is ideal. College isn't for everyone and financially speaking it doesn't work for everyone (i'm there w/ you have have a **** ton of college debt).

Since you already have a bachelors i'd suggest getting a certification or two. Start with CompTIA A+ and/or CompTIA Net+. From there I would suggest getting the Windows 7 certification (70-680). For training material this really depends on YOU and how YOU learn. If you can pickup a book, read it and pass an exam i would suggest doing that as it will save you a ton of money. An A+ book will run you $70, the exam will run you $300 total, so $370 to be A+ certified, opposed to going to a community college or a technical school they will charge you on average $1,100 or so for that same exam (although you do get instructor lead classroom experience with this). Same deal with the Net+ and Windows 7 exams, youll on average spend about 1/3 to 1/4 less if you just buy the book, read it and get hands on experience (IE taking apart a PC, setting up your home network, playing around in windows 7).

Once you get 2 certifications at that point you are qualified for a help desk role. Yes its taking phone calls but on average they make about $14 or so an hour depending on the company and market you are in. Once you get some experience (1-2 years) on a help desk you can move up from there and focus more on Software or Hardware (depending on what you enjoy).

Honestly the main goal here is to get your foot in the door. EVERY place and EVERY job you will see on dice.com / careerbuilder / monster is going to say it requires experience, so the goal is to get a certification to two which will allow a company to hire you on at their help desk. Once that foot is in the door if you put your time in and get more certifications you can move up from there.

Thanks Lex, a lot of great info in there. My biggest problem is that I've never read a word of any of those certifications or anything about them. I've heard of them but always just figured that was technical stuff. Until now I never even considered reading those. If I were to pick up an A+ for dummies or net + for dummies book do you think that would be good for someone with no knowledge of those programs or is there something else I would need to get my feet wet? The reason I ask is because I heard that CCNA and CCNP certs are a good thing to have so I read the first ten pages of the CCNA certification for dummies and it was still to technical for me. And that's supposed to be for dummies! I guess what I'm asking is: is this the best place to start for someone with no knowledge or is there a better starting point?

I think the A+ and Net+ are starting points. Cisco certifications are extremely difficult to obtain and aren't for beginners. I wouldn't suggest trying for those until you have a good base of knowledge.

I forgot to add a website that you need to check out, Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Microsoft Certification Training

It has a TON of QUALITY free videos which will allow you go get your feet wet before going any further. If watching these videos you still feel over your head then i believe you probably need to be in a classroom environment where someone will actually teach you the technology. Realize MOST certifications expect you know your way around a computer, if this isn't you then you need to get into a classroom environment where someone can actually teach you the technology. CompTIA A+ is the basic of the basic of the basic - easiest type of certification (IMO) out there.

Check that site out and if watching a few of those A+ videos you are still lost i would suggest going to a college or technical trade school where you would be taught from the ground up (IE everything from hey here is how a computer is turned on to how memory is parsed from RAM to your hard drive).

Back
Top Bottom