Seeking Advice on Basic Education

sixstringthing

Beta member
Hi everyone,

I'm middle-aged, hoping to start a "second career" in a Computer Technician field. I've read about 20 posts in this forum, and have a general idea about Technical Schools.

I am only looking for enough education to work as an end user/pc repair tech, or entry level Help Tech. I have some Veterans' benefits that will see me through one year of full time classes, so I'm limited in my education options.

All the computer tech terms are a bit confusing to me... A+, TIA, Net+, etc. I was hoping for a little guidance in what would be the best courses to take since I'm limited to one year of school.

I've read the post that highly recommends avoiding Online Schools. Is that still true if I'm only going for one year? My local (St. Louis, MO) Community College offers an IT/Help Desk/End User Support course, but they may cancel it if not enough people register.

Anyway folks, if you have any advice for me, I'd certainly appreciate it.

Thanks!

I am not personally trying to get into IT but I am going to focus on getting my A+ and NET+ certs in order to have a solid foundation and knowledge to further explore my new favorite hobby. With that being said, I have been reading that getting those two certs knocked out first are a really good start if you want a foot in the door of the IT industry. I would recommend buying the study guides for those certs and try looking for an associates degree program at your local community college. I am a vet as well and I can tell you if you go to school locally it is a lot cheaper, so that year you have may actually buy you two years at a local community college.

Here is a link to some free - quality training: Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Certification Training

I would suggest getting your CompTIA A+ certification and your CompTIA Net+ certifications first. You can google those and read up on them.

Those are the two basic of the basic exams, if in reading into these (or watching those free videos) you are still lost then i would say you don't have a grasp on technology and you should go to some type of formal schooling at a community college.

There is a lot of free information on the web.

Back
Top Bottom