Is a Security+ certification really worth anything? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Technology > Technology Careers and Education
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2017, 03:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Is a Security+ certification really worth anything?

OK, so the Air Force (really the whole Department of Defense) sets great stock in CompTIA and their certifications. To get in to IT, you've got to have an A+ at a minimum, and they have recently mandated that the military folks need a Security+. It's not mandatory yet for civilians, but I went ahead and got it taken care of, just in case.

On the outside, are these really worth anything? Do employers really ask if you've got these? Not looking for a career change, really just curious. AF leadership is head over heels for CompTIA, just wondering if anyone else is.

insidiousbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: Is a Security+ certification really worth anything?

Security+ is usually considered entry level, I'd say. Better than nothing, though.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Build Guru

Security+ is actually one of the top end ones next to CISSP. The DoD just gets their dick hard for whatever sounds cool. Before it was Net+ and now it's Security+. I work at Lockheed and yea, they make Civs get it too. Basically anybody that remotely deals in IT is required to have it. At least with Security+ I know that if I get fired or leave it's a good tick to have on my resume.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Security+ is actually one of the top end ones next to CISSP. The DoD just gets their dick hard for whatever sounds cool. Before it was Net+ and now it's Security+. I work at Lockheed and yea, they make Civs get it too. Basically anybody that remotely deals in IT is required to have it. At least with Security+ I know that if I get fired or leave it's a good tick to have on my resume.
For some reason I thought it was one of the "entry level" certs. I stand corrected.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
For some reason I thought it was one of the "entry level" certs. I stand corrected.
Yea as a sys admin I can go anywhere once I have it and make interviewers moist. It sounds stupid but it's true. Even my friend was like if they pay for your clearance and Security+ I can get you on over here for 6 figures. I was like wtf? Security+ is like mainly 95% **** none of us needs to study over.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Security+ was stupid easy. Studied for like... a week and passed it.
Battle.net: iFargle #1561 || Steam/Origin: iFargle
iFargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFargle View Post
Security+ was stupid easy. Studied for like... a week and passed it.
Most of the guys on my team studied for a couple of weeks in between work and passed with exactly a 754.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

The AF sent me to a class--not a bootcamp--and then I took two weeks cramming, passed with a 781. This stuff is kind of rough for me; I come from an old-school telephone background, like CAT 3 and Nortel multi-function switches...

But like PP said, the DoD is head over heels for CompTIA. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they made me get it, so now I'm a step ahead. Good to know that it does have some value.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidiousbookworm View Post
The AF sent me to a class--not a bootcamp--and then I took two weeks cramming, passed with a 781. This stuff is kind of rough for me; I come from an old-school telephone background, like CAT 3 and Nortel multi-function switches...

But like PP said, the DoD is head over heels for CompTIA. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they made me get it, so now I'm a step ahead. Good to know that it does have some value.
It really only has value to a sys admin moving jobs. But before your Security+ is even expired I bet you the AF and Lockheed will be making us get something else.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
It really only has value to a sys admin moving jobs. But before your Security+ is even expired I bet you the AF and Lockheed will be making us get something else.
CASP here I come...

Wouldn't surprise me one bit.