Is a Security+ certification really worth anything?

insidiousbookworm

Baseband Member
OK, so the Air Force (really the whole Department of Defense) sets great stock in CompTIA and their certifications. To get in to IT, you've got to have an A+ at a minimum, and they have recently mandated that the military folks need a Security+. It's not mandatory yet for civilians, but I went ahead and got it taken care of, just in case.

On the outside, are these really worth anything? Do employers really ask if you've got these? Not looking for a career change, really just curious. AF leadership is head over heels for CompTIA, just wondering if anyone else is.

Security+ is usually considered entry level, I'd say. Better than nothing, though.

Security+ is actually one of the top end ones next to CISSP. The DoD just gets their dick hard for whatever sounds cool. Before it was Net+ and now it's Security+. I work at Lockheed and yea, they make Civs get it too. Basically anybody that remotely deals in IT is required to have it. At least with Security+ I know that if I get fired or leave it's a good tick to have on my resume.

Security+ is actually one of the top end ones next to CISSP. The DoD just gets their dick hard for whatever sounds cool. Before it was Net+ and now it's Security+. I work at Lockheed and yea, they make Civs get it too. Basically anybody that remotely deals in IT is required to have it. At least with Security+ I know that if I get fired or leave it's a good tick to have on my resume.

For some reason I thought it was one of the "entry level" certs. I stand corrected.

For some reason I thought it was one of the "entry level" certs. I stand corrected.
Yea as a sys admin I can go anywhere once I have it and make interviewers moist. It sounds stupid but it's true. Even my friend was like if they pay for your clearance and Security+ I can get you on over here for 6 figures. I was like wtf? Security+ is like mainly 95% **** none of us needs to study over.

Security+ was stupid easy. Studied for like... a week and passed it. :tongue:

The AF sent me to a class--not a bootcamp--and then I took two weeks cramming, passed with a 781. This stuff is kind of rough for me; I come from an old-school telephone background, like CAT 3 and Nortel multi-function switches...

But like PP said, the DoD is head over heels for CompTIA. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they made me get it, so now I'm a step ahead. Good to know that it does have some value.

The AF sent me to a class--not a bootcamp--and then I took two weeks cramming, passed with a 781. This stuff is kind of rough for me; I come from an old-school telephone background, like CAT 3 and Nortel multi-function switches...

But like PP said, the DoD is head over heels for CompTIA. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they made me get it, so now I'm a step ahead. Good to know that it does have some value.
It really only has value to a sys admin moving jobs. But before your Security+ is even expired I bet you the AF and Lockheed will be making us get something else.

Back
Top Bottom