A.A.S Networking Technology Worth Anything?

Sylice

Beta member
I will be pursuing an A.A.S Networking Technology degree:
Networking Technology Degree Courses by Semester – Welcome to Wayne Community College | Goldsboro, NC

While getting the Cisco CCNA cert to begin with, I have a genuine interest for Networking, I can create functioning topologies in Cisco PacketTracer, etc.. I have a basic understanding of Networks and IPs, etc..

I'm hoping to become a Network Administrator in the Raleigh, NC area.

I don't want to be unemployed after I get my degree and certifications, am I taking the right course of action to prevent that?

What jobs could I get with the degree and the certifications?

Associates with your CCNA would land you most jobs - some companies may look past you because you don't have a bachelors but i'm finding that few and far between now adays. The only companies i see now doing that are generally very large companies that have an 'old way' of doing things.

CCNA is a very solid certification path, especially if you have interest in networking.

I would suggest trying to complete your CCNA before or right before you finish your degree. What you want to try and do is time things to have them complete within a year or so of each other - this way when you are hitting the job market none of your skill sets are stale. If you have time try to get your CCNP as well.

The only way to stay out of the unemployment line in my opinion is to stay relevant. I see a lot of people in this industry get certifications or a job and just sit - not furthering their education. The general thought being 'i made it' and now i'm good. What they don't realize is companies change, markets change and you need to ensure you keep your skill sets up to date (CCNA kinda requires that since it expires every few years).

What jobs could I get with the degree and the certifications?

Help desk, maybe NOC. An actual networking position is possible, but unlikely without relevant experience.

I don't want to be unemployed after I get my degree and certifications, am I taking the right course of action to prevent that?
It's important that you start getting experience while you're in school. Internships, working for the school's IT dept., volunteer work, etc. Check with your school's career services and your IT faculty to see if they can help you find any openings. I got my start at a community college - the great thing about community college IT programs is that a lot of the instructors are teaching as a side gig and are still active in IT.

If you don't have a homelab already, build one. It doesn't need to be fancy or expensive, you just need something that you can play with, fix, and break. Learn some Linux and Windows Server - you'll need it for networking. You can probably find cheap network gear through ebay, craigslist, goodwill, etc.

I can't even begin to stress the importance of soft skills. Do you have customer service experience? If not, get it. Taking orders at McD's will work. Are you able to get along with people? Like, really? Most of the time in networking you'll have to answer to managers, clients, coworkers, etc. so you've got to be able to deal with people. If an interviewer thinks you're a jackass or too much of a weirdo then you won't get the job in the first place.

Realize that most network admins/engineers work their way up from help desk. It's possible to skip help desk but you'll need to know people and be lucky, so either be realistic with your expectations or hustle like your life depends on it.

You have been given some solid advise here. This thread is a few years old but still applicable. Keep in mind an education is not only about a few letters or certificate. Real learning takes time and effort.
Try to find a place that has hands on labs and real world scenarios. Pay attention to the technology in use. Is the technology used to enhance the learning or does it seem to just check a box without being meaningful. I have found in my research that technology is not used correctly and can actually hinder the learner.

Back
Top Bottom