Regarding schooling and such

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spave

Beta member
Hi all,

Here are a few questions I am posting in case anyone else has them, they may have been answered, but I am curious to get input. I have kind of already made up my mind on what to do, but with some expert input perhaps I will be changing it. :) (Oh and some of it is about work, but couldnt decide where to post so just put it here)

I am having a hard time deciding what I want to do for school/work.

I have been a STE for over 5 years, and have been with my current company for over 3 years and am the Sr QA Engineer. Testing is fun, but nowadays its hard to find another testing job (if you dont like your current one) unless you know programming, usually C/C++.

So, I am torn in what to do...and in need of some advice.

I could get certified in QA testing and just keep making that my career (although having a hard time getting other jobs due to no programming experience) (Yeah I know, not a real good option)

I can start learning programming on my own. Larry has recommended PHP to start (which I am going to check out), I will also listen to other recommendations as I am planning on learning multiple languages well. (Kinda started this option already heh)

I am planning on going to school (even though I am 28 already and wouldnt finish until I was like 32 or so lol) just not sure if it is worth the time for me to complete it or if I should just learn programming on my own or what not. If I DO go to school I am not sure what degree path to take, CS, MIS, IT, there is one called CSS from UW. From what I hear, no degree matters if you can't code well. So Im wondering if I should just take programming classes and not go for a straight degree, or if it is indeed necessary?

I am very dedicated, and am willing to spend 4 hours a night at minimum learning programming. Just a little frustrated in not knowing what to do and such. Anyway, this post is a little convoluted, but thanks for reading it! Im off to learn about PHP and whatever I can find on it. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Dave

good thing to know that you are dedicated Dave.

php is not a programming language, its a technology.

programming languages are:

C, C++, C# (also called C Sharp), Visual C++, Java, Pascal, Delphi, VB (its RAD - Rapid Application Development)

of all these, most powerful are currently C++/C# and Java. easiest is VB (Visual Basic), it requires at least 4 years of programming experience to become a good programmer. even if you are dedicated, you'll eventually get bored of programming languages.

other part comes in development. a software is developed in above programming languages, but i'll write here preciously about web development. here the php plays its part. other than php, you can learn ASP, JSP, ColdFusion as web development languages.

also, you can go for database development, as develoing databases itself is a HUGE Field.

now its upto you what you want to make? programs, softwares, writing drivers, developing web sites, developing databases etc etc etc.

you can re-write questions for a tailored made responce.

With the deepest respect.....PHP is a scripting language. It uses it's own code and tags. But, I can see why you can label it as also a technology. But, fact of the matter is......it IS a language.

preciously ASP is a technology, so does PHP is. you can cal them scripting/programming languages as well. but in precise terms its a technology.

should you require reference, I can provide confirming that PHP is a technology as well.

I script in PHP.......PHP is a branch off of HTML. It is it's own language with it's own code and own tags. Define Technology versus Language

I think we both agree here in our own little way but....if you call ColdFusion (which I also know) a language.......then you can call PHP a language. They both might be server-side.....but they are languages none-the-less.

so does have ASP has its own language,

language relates to as when interacting with computer, as compute cannot understand human terminology, so preciously when development is done interacting with computers directly, there comes language. for further reference, check out some good book on ASP, and you'll find there as well written ASP as technology rather than language.

like i mentioned...i think we agree here in our own way. But since I deal with PHP as simply a language.....it's more of that to me than anything else. I did agree about the technology....as stated above....but the post from me was simply about the quote from you above:
"php is not a programming language, its a technology" which is false.

for reference, I have read a book on ASP, by Wrox ASP 3.0 ISBN 81-7366-149-9, page 15.

there's written as well its a technology, rather than language, though it uses scripting languages, neither its application, so ASP is reffered to as a technology to build dynamic content.

yes PHP isnt a programmng language, as you cannot programme it for the computer to understand. as its executed by server, where we take server as software, not hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom