Proof about A+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certification cards

I hold both an A+ and a Net+ certification. When you pass them, you recieve your certificate in the mail, as well as a business card showing you passed. You can show this card to your potential employer to prove your status. Also, Comptia has a process where you can request an email be sent to your employer that provides a link back to Comptia to prove your certification status.

Thresh said:
What if you can't afford a $240 test but know how to fix a computer hands on better than someone who's gotten a 100% on it?

Point is, one doesn't have to have a certificate saying they know what they're doing. I've heard of people graduating with a degree in computer repair with no hands on experience and didn't know how to swap ram.

I don't agree with lying like some others say, but I do agree with what Thresh says here.
I honestly believe there are two distinct types of IT managers. Those that want hands on experience and don't really look at certs and those that only look at certs.

I have personally witnessed both kinds. One was going to hire me because he knew that I was more qualified than the people he already had working for him. The sad thing is he got a job elsewhere before the hiring process was done and his replacement was the type that only wanted certs. The replacement turned me down for the job because he said he was holding out for someone with certifications. He has been holding out now for 3 months. Go figure.

gospel said:
I don't agree with lying like some others say, but I do agree with what Thresh says here.
I honestly believe there are two distinct types of IT managers. Those that want hands on experience and don't really look at certs and those that only look at certs.

I have personally witnessed both kinds. One was going to hire me because he knew that I was more qualified than the people he already had working for him. The sad thing is he got a job elsewhere before the hiring process was done and his replacement was the type that only wanted certs. The replacement turned me down for the job because he said he was holding out for someone with certifications. He has been holding out now for 3 months. Go figure.

I guess you are talking about entry level jobs. Someone with certifications are not going to be hired. What employers look for is the 4 year degree. Certifications just increase your pay but dont actually get you any kind of job.

There is no money in the hardware computer repair business. Unless you open your own shop and offer other services, and you have a generous loyal following, I would get a 4 year degree and get a higher paying job. It will carry you further in life in the long term.

Shocker said:
There is no money in the hardware computer repair business. Unless you open your own shop and offer other services, and you have a generous loyal following, I would get a 4 year degree and get a higher paying job. It will carry you further in life in the long term.

That is all fine and good if you 1). have the money to pay the tuition. 2). Are young, single, and don't have any bills to pay (not implying that you don't). I am 40 have a wife, child, and many bills. I don't have the time to go and get a 4 year degree. I'm just trying to do something toward getting out of my dead end $25k a year job. I see certifications as a inexpensive step in the right direction.

Of course you guys are making me think the A+ is worthless. Maybe I should't be wasting my time on it. Maybe I should be doing something else like MCSE or Cisco or something.

Yeah I think you should personally. The thing is with certifications though they are really not supposed to get you the job. Certifictions are really used to moveup in your current job. So you dont want to go get any very hard certifictions like the CCNP, because it will look like you have no experience and just certifictions and employers dislike that. Under your circumstances I would say, go for CCNA, or MCSE to begin with, then try looking for a job. Starting out you probally will not make much more then 25-30k, but after you achieve some years of experience your salary has a potential to get up in the 40k range I would think. Best of luck to you.

I think the A+ used to matter when not a lot of people could fix computers, it was kinda like computer scientist now a days. But since everyone can fix computers even that little kid across the street that is 6 years old. A+ is really only used as a learning tool for kids now and entry level jobs in computer repair for kids. The reason a lot of people talk about it on these forusm is because they ARE kids, and dont understand. They think you will be able to get A+ and become a computer repair man and make 60k a year without going to college. In reality you would make more waiting tables in your local diner. You know, so its just a consenus though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom