Possible to make around $150k a year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brrymnvette

In Runtime
That is my goal. To make around $150k a year. I'm going to school right now for my B.S. in Network Engineering & Computer Technology. Which basically means I'll be able to setup and maintain networks. I want to get all the certs I can up to the top Cisco one and learn some programming and be a security expert. I don't plan on stopping school once I get my B.S. I am getting my masters at least. Just wondering if and what I need to do to reach my goal?

Thanks,
Andy

Well that's a given really. I think the stat was that 85% of jobs are aquired through networking. Or something really high like that.

brrymnvette said:
That is my goal. To make around $150k a year. I'm going to school right now for my B.S. in Network Engineering & Computer Technology. Which basically means I'll be able to setup and maintain networks. I want to get all the certs I can up to the top Cisco one and learn some programming and be a security expert. I don't plan on stopping school once I get my B.S. I am getting my masters at least. Just wondering if and what I need to do to reach my goal?

Thanks,
Andy

Not to put a damper on your motivation, because I think its great. But to make 150k in networking is ridiculous to say the least. If you intend to go into networking you're going to have to be satsified with making around 30-50k on average. To reach your goal you would have to change your profession, and be ready to get a masters and probally a PhD. The people who make a lot of money (150k) in computing are mainly researchers who work for IBM and others. I would be kinda hesitent to even say every researcher at IBM makes 150k. I am sure some do, the ones working on research in new areas. But the average is probally 100-120k.

A more reasonable career with higher pay would be software engineering and comp engineering/electrical engineering. I believe the average pay is around 80k.

"B.S. in Network Engineering & Computer Technology."

I hope this is from an ABET accredited school because just from the degree name it sounds like it is not. If it is not, you can quickly rule that 150k/year dream out and probably that 100k/year one too.

elitesoldier said:
"B.S. in Network Engineering & Computer Technology."

I hope this is from an ABET accredited school because just from the degree name it sounds like it is not. If it is not, you can quickly rule that 150k/year dream out and probably that 100k/year one too.

Does ABET accredidate IT programs? I am too lazy to look it up, but I do not think it does. Since ABET is engineering accredation. But even if it was ABET accreddited, there is still no way you could make that much in networking like I explained above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom