Picking a Major & Degree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prototype

Daemon Poster
I need help choosing the computer major and degree that I want to study. Can anyone recommend me a good major that I should pick?

Anything that interests you...probably should have put this in the Education section. I'm sure someone will move it.

I had the same problem, and I'm still trying to figure it out, but I'm leaning towards Network Engineering. Not 100% on it yet, but it's my general idea. Just do something that you like doing.

Depends on the school as well. For instance at my school there is information systems and computer science. Computer science is hard core programming, while information systems in programming, hardware, and networking. I picked information systems so I have the flexibility to do everything a future employer may need.

So, talk to an advisor, figure out what you want to do, and pick the best program at your selected school.

Depends on the school as well. For instance at my school there is information systems and computer science. Computer science is hard core programming, while information systems in programming, hardware, and networking. I picked information systems so I have the flexibility to do everything a future employer may need.

So, talk to an advisor, figure out what you want to do, and pick the best program at your selected school.

Same, xept Info Sys is in the business school here, which is pretty competitive to get into... so I might be stuck with CS whether I like it or not.

Where I'm going (SUNY Albany), they have CS and IT, so I picked IT because I feel it'll lead to a larger market, and I can't handle all the math and stuff in CS. I'm gonna try my butt off the first 2 years and see if I can transfer to somewhere like Cornell where they have a great IT program. But the most important things to think about is what to enjoy, and what is practical (ease in finding a job). IT is generally a good field, but you might wanna look more specifically into what's available job-wise in your area/state to know what your best choices are.

I need help choosing the computer major and degree that I want to study. Can anyone recommend me a good major that I should pick?

You're from Katy. LOL. I went to UH-Downtown for as a Computer Information Systems major; it's actually a business degree. Later I got my masters of science in information systems (also a business degree) at St. Thomas.

If you're not into hardcore programming, I highly recommend I.S. at UH or any other university. I'm a systems admin now at a small company. Doing pretty decent.

Anything that interests you...probably should have put this in the Education section. I'm sure someone will move it.

I had the same problem, and I'm still trying to figure it out, but I'm leaning towards Network Engineering. Not 100% on it yet, but it's my general idea. Just do something that you like doing.

I don't really know what interests me but I am pretty sure I am going to major in something that is related to computers. I've been thinking between Computer Engineering and Computer Science. Before, I wanted to major in Computer Engineering but now I am leaning towards Computer Science. I am going to be taking AP Computer Science next year and I'll see if I like it.

Sorry and thanks to the person that moved my thread.

I am trying to pick a major so I can start eliminating schools I don't want to go.

Same, xept Info Sys is in the business school here, which is pretty competitive to get into... so I might be stuck with CS whether I like it or not.

CS seems pretty fun. You can make games or programs and make money out of it.

Where I'm going (SUNY Albany), they have CS and IT, so I picked IT because I feel it'll lead to a larger market, and I can't handle all the math and stuff in CS. I'm gonna try my butt off the first 2 years and see if I can transfer to somewhere like Cornell where they have a great IT program. But the most important things to think about is what to enjoy, and what is practical (ease in finding a job). IT is generally a good field, but you might wanna look more specifically into what's available job-wise in your area/state to know what your best choices are.

Anything related to computers seems fun to me. But I've been hearing CS jobs have increasing salary every year.

You're from Katy. LOL. I went to UH-Downtown for as a Computer Information Systems major; it's actually a business degree. Later I got my masters of science in information systems (also a business degree) at St. Thomas.

If you're not into hardcore programming, I highly recommend I.S. at UH or any other university. I'm a systems admin now at a small company. Doing pretty decent.

I moved to Katy in August. I like the rain and flooding we had today which canceled school today and moved TAKS. If I stay in Texas to study, I want to go to atleast UT in Austin or maybe Rice if I do better next year in my junior year and raise my class rank.

My personal plan is to get a 4 year degree in computer science, pick up some certifications, and then get a job in software engineering. Big job in the CS field. And as you mentioned, it is based highly on experience (in other words pay increase every year).

Uhmm if you plan on going out of state you could always go to UAT (university of advancing technology) in Arizona. They are the only (if not only maybe one of the few) school that offers a degree in "software engineering" most schools it's either computer science or computer engineering. They offer way more than just that...as the name gives away, it's a technology school. Oh, and another thing..it's a private school. Doesn't seem hard to get into considering they sent me information ( 3.3 gpa...live in west virginia...etc..not the best candidate for a private school lol) but I think it was kind of expensive.

RIT offers a software engineering course as well.

But it really depends; as of now I think you should have some idea as to whether you have a preference towards Hardware, Software, or Networking. If hardware, you should consider computer engineering or electrical engineering(with computer options). If it's software, you're choices are much wider and most of them have been discussed here. If you are networking, you also have a wide choice.

Also, keep in mind, if you want to do hardware, it is a big preference to continue the bachelors degree and turn it into at least a masters. But it is all what interests you; I personally can't see myself coding java, c++, etc. for the rest of my life -- I'd have to kill myself. It's why I picked computer engineering, it covers software aspects so I can fall on that If i need to, but it focuses on hardware design which I find most interesting.

RIT offers a software engineering course as well.

a course or the major? Not trying to be rude or picky, just wondering. Because most computer science major's require 1-2 classes of software engineering (at least mine will). But that has an actual major for software engineering. Course schedule is just a bunch of coding classes...hardly any math/language/basic classes at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom