Personal Computers brought to school

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericd

Solid State Member
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what you all use as protocol for Personal Computers, i.e. laptops or desktops, being brought to school and being used as workstations. Do you allow it? Do you require them to bring it, but not take it home in that case? Do you deny it? Please let me know how you feel about this subject!

Thanks!

My school does allow laptops to be brought in; I have a netbook which I use for the majority of my work, as do several other students (one requires it as he has terrible dyslexia and is essentially unable to write).
I have brought in my desktop a couple of times, once for an ICT open evening at my school to show off some CAD work and once to act as a server for the networking module of my ICT qualification.
PCs aren't required for anything, but they really help.

I realise you were looking for someone on the other end of things, but hope this helps.

They should be allowed, but if you have an active directory environment they should be in their own group with their own set of group policies. Things like sharing files, access to certain network resources, etc should be limited or denied based off of your network setup. They should have their own 'guest' group policy that limits a guests ability to do things since these are 'outside' computers that present a HUGE security risk to your network. Virus's, malware, hackers or even uneducated users can cause havoc on a network and could infect your entire system. There are tons of liability issues there as well.

If you don't have a server in which you can deploy an active directory environment the least you can do is make their own litte 'section' in which people can connect through wi-fi and it is disconnected from the rest of the network (or at least other computers). Make certain network jacks just for guests or certain wi-fi links just for guests to ensure they don't have unlimited access to resources and computers like some of your office computers probably have.

bad idea in my opinion.

all it would take is for 1 savvy user to bring down / or infect the entire network.

keylogger anyone?

I may need to clarify. This isn't just for anyone in our district. It is just for the Staff. ie Teachers and such. My tech director is wanting me to write the protocol for some reason even though I'm just the hardware/network tech....anybody agree with that? IMO she needs to start doing HER job as a director and write the thing herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom