Outsourcing programming jobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvu714

Baseband Member
I just wanted to see what the outlook was for the future of computer programmers. Im a little scared that when i get out of school all the jobs will be offshored/outsouced :(

What do you guys think about the situation?

yea, programming jobs are getting outsourced to India and other places. I think the only major impact on this will be that programmers are going to have to be much more innovative and competitive. This also means that programmers will have to work at lower wages. Of course in our new post dot-com crash economy, outsourcing happens to EVERY field of work. So if your thinking "oh, don't major in computer science because all the work is getting outsourced" your wrong, because it happens all over, accounting, tax filers, even in the medical industry (which many people major in because of the supposily job stability and nice pay). Basically, ANYTHING that can be put into a digital form can be outsourced. There's only one way to stay ahead in this time of age and it is to keep updated on the new technologies and keep learning the new programming languages and I'm sure you will be able to find work. If you stop learning and just say "oh, i can just program in c++ for the next 30 years of my programming career" then you will most likely be out of a job when c++ gets phased out and a superior programming language comes (like we see all these people complaining that they can't find work and they are 20 years in the IT industry- they failed to learn the new technologies!).

I think the bottom line is to find a line of work that you really enjoy doing and get really good at that line of work. This is because if you enjoy working in that field you are more willing to update your skills when the time comes to do that. However, if your just doing a career because the pay is good, you will probably fail when you have to update your skills.

Also i would recommend reading the book: the world is flat by Thomas L. Friedman, very good book and talks about how this outsourcing thing came along, Its on the amazon's best seller list. So its a pretty good book to read if you want to understand outsourcing and how to stay ahead! =)

dvu714 said:
I just wanted to see what the outlook was for the future of computer programmers. Im a little scared that when i get out of school all the jobs will be offshored/outsouced :(

What do you guys think about the situation?

The only jobs I see being outsourced for programming is jobs with no sense of security. Which is very few, the industry still maintains 85% of the programming jobs. Specially industrial programming jobs or work for the government. Get a math degree and CS degree and work for the CIA, NSA, or DOD :)

yeah i was just a little concerned because i browse openings and it seems there are very few entry level positions. Everyone seems to be looking for atleast 2-5 years experience.

I have read that they are sending the basic work overseas which leaves less and less entry type positions for people here. So I wonder where that leaves the people coming out of school. I mean even on jr. programmer positions they ask for 1-2 year experience.

Maybe im just wigging out though...

Thanks for replies guys

dvu714 said:
yeah i was just a little concerned because i browse openings and it seems there are very few entry level positions. Everyone seems to be looking for atleast 2-5 years experience.

I have read that they are sending the basic work overseas which leaves less and less entry type positions for people here. So I wonder where that leaves the people coming out of school. I mean even on jr. programmer positions they ask for 1-2 year experience.

Maybe im just wigging out though...

Thanks for replies guys

yea i noticed this too, just by looking on dice.com. It is rather depressing. =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom