out sourcing

Status
Not open for further replies.

elitesoldier

In Runtime
Well, one of the big pit falls about working in the computer industry is that alot of the work can be out sourced to countries that can pay people less than .50$ per hour to do the same work we do here in the states. I already know that customer support and programming is getting outscourced pretty heavily, so is there any other sectors going aswell? i sure want to steer clear of this, i certantly don't want to get a degree or certifications that are just getting out scourced. Thx :)

It's certainly good to be aware of jobs that can be outsourced, and to keep your finger on the pulse of outsourcing trends, but with the degree of change in the technology world, who knows what could be next? To work in IT for any length of time, some degree of acceptance of job insecurity is needed. Not that I think it's right or acceptable, but that's the way it is these days. At my work I know people who have held 5-6 jobs in the last 7 years. The job changes came through layoffs, company closings, or outsourcing. But usually they were back on their feet and working for another company soon.

What are the jobs that probably won't be outsourced? Specialized IT knowledge that would probably only come from on-the-job-training. Management. Project Management. Any job involving IT knowledge that is very specific to a firm's needs they likely won't get rid of. Knowledge that is not specialized (PC support, network support, supporting well-known enterprise applications, etc) are usually targets for mergers and outsourcing. But n the end it all depends on where you're working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom