ONLINE SCHOOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmyjo81

Baseband Member
I'm looking at Online Schools they're about $300 or so per credit hour.
Now would it be better to just get a degree in computer science or info tech.
Or should i focus more on just one specific item like database admin?

Every time i search online for jobs in demand 2011, IT comes up! And also on job searches i see that there are a good amount of IT jobs..
Trying to figure out what type of IT jobs are more in demand specifically..

Also is it a good idea to just get an associates and then further my education with certificates? from what i can see its not always necessary to have a bachelors.

I went to school for graphic design but all i can find for a job is some crappy sign companies who treat you like complete ****. which is not what i want to do and there is no room for advancement, no benefits etc..

My max pay at any of those places would be 15-20 an hour which is crap.
My problem is i went to college spent 50k and now owe $$$ and can't find a good design job so I'm giving up on the whole design thing especially since most design jobs dont pay enough.

Go for computer science. From job searches and friends who have their computer science degrees, I realized that computer science is the most flexible degree there is. If you look up listings for Network Admins, Programmers, Systems Admins, etc., they all say that they require or prefer a "Bachelors in Computer Science or related field." It was late before I figured this out. I'll be transferring to an online school starting this fall as a junior.

Don't expect to get paid much though when you initially start in IT.

What I did is get my associates and several certs then got a job in IT. While working I'm going to get my bachelors from an online school and work on more certs as well. So by the time I graduate, I will have 2-3 years IT experience, a bachelors degree, and several certs.

Yea i think you're right computer science is probably the way to go...gives you a broad range of things you can get into..
I talked to somebody yesterday who was in the IT field.. he said since i already have a bachelors degree i shouldn't even bother getting a degree... I was thinking about getting an associates degree online. He said I should just get the basic certifications and try to get a job..

What Certs did you get before you found a job? And what is pay for entry level IT? 15-20 an hour? i can deal with that... but if we're talking 10 an hour that's a problem.

There's a lot of entry-level help desk position in my area that pays between 15-20. But I know some other areas aren't as good so it will depend on where you're located.

I had the CCNA and Security+ before I even started looking. Then, I got the A+ to make it easier to find entry level jobs. I would suggest getting the A+ first and then Network+.

As for going back to school, it's all up to you. Keep in mind that you'll probably advance faster with a bachelors in the IT field. How about working on the cert and getting an entry level job while you go to school part time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom