Online IT Degree Programs

mcallon

Beta member
Hi all. I am trying to find out if you can make any recommendations regarding Online IT Degree Programs? I am interested in going into IT with a focus on Web Development and Applications, but I will probably need to earn my degree online, and I want to know if it's worth my while to do so, or if one really needs to do brick and mortar for this kind of education.

A little background info...I am 36 years old and I have a MA in English Literature. I have been a full-time, tenured English instructor for the past decade, and I have always had a passion for computers and programming. I have an opportunity to go back to school and earn another degree, and I think this could be an opportunity to delve into IT. But I would need to earn the degree online, as I am going to be a stay-at-home dad for the next couple of years or so.

Any advice you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Thanks for the reply, Office P. I had actually taken a peek at those rankings over the past few days. I guess I am also wondering if earning a fully online degree will place me at a competitive disadvantage for employment relative to others who went to brick and mortar schools. In other words, is my resume likely to be passed over if my degree was earned online?

Mike

Last edited:
Some more traditional companies will definitely pass over your resume because of it, but I truly believe that for every company that will pass over your resume, there's one who will and give you a shot to interview.

Thanks for your input too, Peter. It's good to know I won't be totally doomed if I take the online route.

Mike

I think a lot of companies are realizing that the traditional brick and mortar schooling path isn't feasible for everyone, and I could see how hiring someone with an online degree could be beneficial, especially if you're working to put yourself through school, shows that you're dedicated and not some entitled kid who went through school on daddy's dollar.

I think you might have to back up your decision to get an online degree over a brick and mortar degree, but I would see it as an opportunity to set yourself apart from other candidates.

Even if you had a degree online I think it boils down the the interview and what you know. Certifications are always great to back up that online degree and those aren't always studied for in brick and mortar schools if at all.

I'd hire the guy who could take care of my network when the **** hit the fan...not the guy with a degree that spazzes out because he does well in class...it's situational though!

Back
Top Bottom