New grad - should I take a certification?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdan

Daemon Poster
I'm visiting Pakistan these days and am considering a certification. I believe they're only about $500 here, so there's a hefty discount. What I'm trying to figure out is, is it worth the investment, or what certification I should take.

My background: I'm a recent grad in IT from York University. I graduated 2 years ago, but in the course of my education, I dont feel I learned all that much. My only hard skill is Java, and even that I dont know very well. I have some knowledge of SQL/Databases. We touched upon HTML/XML VERY briefly. Besides that it was theoretical stuff.

I've worked in Tech Support for a year at Kodak, but it shut down here in Canada. I'm now trying to make myself job ready.Would a certification make me more employable, or is that just for more experienced people? Of course I'm willing to say I have experience on my resume if need be....

What certification should I take? I want something that I can finish as
fast as possible (can only spend so much time overseas) but yet can
make me immediately employable. Java, .NET, SAP, Oracle? Any suggestions? I dont care much for networking but could consider CCNA if need be.

Thanks!
Dan

You can't go wrong with certs. Many companies look at certs before a degree.

Go for the certs that line up with your coursework and experience first, then branch out.

This college, certs, job, future thing make me feel really uneasy. I wonder how will I do when I get older.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom