New to IT field...

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmyjo81

Baseband Member
I am pretty lost here.. I want to get into internet security or networking.. something along those lines..
I already went to school 4 years. graphic design degree. So I am looking to get certified online or just by studying and taking the exams myself. I dont want to spend another 4 yrs in school. What certification should i start off with? A+? CCNA? Im not really sure where to start off here..

Whats up with all these "schools" offering certificate programs? wouldnt it just be better(cheaper) to study myself and take the exams??

Also everywhere i search lists IT jobs as "in demand" for now and the next several years.. Yet when i search online for IT jobs in chicago there arent very many listed...

I recommend getting your A+ and Network+ They are your general certifications for Computers and Networking, and they are easy. Get those and then work into your Microsoft and CISCO.

It is way cheaper just to purchase a 100 dollar book, study for a few weeks, then spend another 130 on the exam. I personally don't understand why people spend 1200 dollars and 3 months of time on these certification schools.

I guess it is all about how you learn. I'm lucky because i can read a book, study and pass an exam. Some people have to be in a classroom environment to learn. I just don't want to spend that much money.

As for certifications you have a 4 year degree in computers (at least a field of computers), so you are off on the right foot. Now i'd get your A+, Net+ and Sec+. At that point you would need to get maybe a Cisco certification for networking.

WHere can i get these books? which books should i use?
Where exactly do i take these exams?

My 4 years degree is graphic design, Which is really not involving any IT stuff at all so I dont think it really helps.

After I get my A+ Net+ and or Sec+ Would i be able to start looking for employment? Obviously entry level..

WHere can i get these books? which books should i use?
Where exactly do i take these exams?

My 4 years degree is graphic design, Which is really not involving any IT stuff at all so I dont think it really helps.

Well I would not worry about if your 4 year degree involved IT or not. Just having a 4 year degree pulls a lot of weight.

As for books for A+ and Network+ I recommend Mike Meyers series. There is a countless amount of A and Net+ books on the market but the Meyers series are the ones I have experience with, and plus they have alot of great reviews.

Here are some links

Amazon.com: CompTIA Network+ All-in-One Exam Guide, Fourth Edition (9780071614870): Michael Meyers: Books

Amazon.com: CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Sixth Edition (9780072263114): Michael Meyers: Books

I am currently studying out of both and they have great detail and explanations that will help you grasp everything.

After I get my A+ Net+ and or Sec+ Would i be able to start looking for employment? Obviously entry level..

I would not see why not. You could also work for your self if you like. Make some business cards and start spreading the word. Although I think working for a company is a whole lot better than working on random peoples computer because in a corporate setting everything is always the same, But hey if you want a challenge working on everyday normal peoples computers usually will give you one lol.:thumbsup:

I personally like the corporate level, for it is routine. But I also work on everyday normal peoples computer on the side. I do not fancy it, but the extra money is nice.

I agree with ST, even though your degree is not directly involved in IT any 4 year degree from a legitimate school will give you a huge advantage. I also agree Mike Meyers is the best author out there for CompTIA exams.

You need to go to CompTIA's website, read up on which exam you want to take first. Then find out the exam code for that exam (because these exams get updated every few years and they still sell the old books, so you want to avoid purchasing and studying an old book) then purchase that book from barnes and noble, borders, amazon - really any book store like that.

After studying you need to sign up for the exam - which can be done at the Prometric website (google it). You sign up on their website (free), then use their website to sign up for an exam and select a location and time that the exam is given near you.

Really easy to do, people just aren't well in formed so they believe they have to spend 1200 on one exam.

Thanks for the advice, it was a major pain trying to search online to find out what exactly to do.. then i talked to devry , what a joke they want like 60-70 grand. I cant afford to spend that on school again.

So I actually go to a location to take the exam or is it online?

Thanks for the advice, it was a major pain trying to search online to find out what exactly to do.. then i talked to devry , what a joke they want like 60-70 grand. I cant afford to spend that on school again.

So I actually go to a location to take the exam or is it online?

Yea, i would not mess with places like devry, If you want some schooling maybe check out your local community college and see what they have to offer for computers.

As for taking the A+ exam, you will take that at a learning center such as Pearson's or Sylvan, you just go in pay a fee and take the test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom