New Beginning

amkmt

Solid State Member
[FONT=&quot]I just got my Network+ certification from what I've read in order to boost up my resume I need to get some networking experiences thru volunteer but it seems not many opportunities out there in where I live, North Carolina. I already have concerned about my CEUs, I worked so hard for this cert and want to maintain it. Any idea for the beginner like me? I currently work in a remote call center looking for an entry level networking job.:)[/FONT]

That's the tough part IMO - now you have an IT job but it's not hands on, so while you have your Net+ you have to prove to your employers that you have the skills to do the job.

Volunteering is a great start, but it's harder than people realize. Unless there are small PC shops willing to have you help out stuff it's difficult to get experience. Keep trying but I realize it's difficult to land even a volunteer job with zero experience.

I would suggest continuing your education - get your A+ as well and try to help out in your office as much as possible. Not sure what type of environment you are in now but if it's a smaller business show you have interest in networking - try to help out whenever possible.

Maintaining a certification can be difficult if you're not in the right place. Certs are definitely looked upon favorably. Since you're in NC you have an amazing area in the Triad that has a ton of IT jobs. I would suggest looking there. Dice is a great web site for IT work (Dice.com - Job Search for Technology Professionals). Also, be sure to check with your local government agencies, such as counties and cities. A lot of times, those places will have entry level jobs that start out making good money and don't require a whole lot in the way of experience nor education.

I have both A+ and Network+, the reason I've Network+ because I like networking and at the same time I need to go for higher cert in order to maintain my A+. I think I am going to try knocking on door repair shop, if they're willing to take my volunteer help.

When you look to volunteer, it doesn't have to be volunteering for networking or a charity that needs their network looked at.

For example, I volunteer to help charities with IT issues etc, and when I go to there office or building to fix say a Laptop, I ask them if they need help with other things - most the time they say "actaully we have been having a issue with are shared drives, router or need cabling done but dont have the budget etc" and I then offer to help sort that out aswell, or I take a look at there network setup and advise them if I can improve it for them free etc.

I build good rapports with small charities and whenever they need anything now or have questions they always come to me.

Of course I do this along side my 9 to 5 so balancing it out is tricky at times. :cool:

Last edited:
When you look to volunteer, it doesn't have to be volunteering for networking or a charity that needs their network looked at. for example, I volunteer to help charities with IT issues etc, and when I go to there office or building to fix say a Laptop, I ask them if they need help with other things - most the time they say "actaully we have been having a issue with A or B" and I then offer to help sort that out aswell, or I take a look at there network setup and advise them if I can improve it for them free etc.

I build good rapports with small charities and whenever they need anything now or have questions they always come to me.

Of course I do this along side my 9 to 5 so balancing it out is tricky at times. :cool:

To add on to this, check with your local fire departments. If any of them are volunteer departments, they will likely need all the help they can get. Firefighters aren't usually very tech savvy and the volunteer departments aren't managed (usually) by the cities, counties, etc and cannot afford an IT person let along paid staff.

I do this for a couple of local departments here (one of which I also am a volunteer firefighter). You can gain some really good experience, depending on what they are using as far as equipment not to mention you're supporting all the people that the department supports at the end of it as well. :cool:

@MidnightShadow, yea, perfect, I will do local fire department. I will let you know guys which one I finally end up with my volunteering scheme, thank you guys!

I went to talk to the priest of my church but he is not too excited with my idea lol. The idea I have is to fix low income families who don't have the budget to bring their computers to the repair shop when its not working. So now I am going to go to these places like you guys suggested.

Back
Top Bottom