A+ and Network+ question

Status
Not open for further replies.

myke_test1

Solid State Member
This semester i will be taking a class at the community college that will prepare me for the A+ exam. I've bought the sybex book on A+ too

So my main question is since i'm just starting out with these certifications am i going in the right direction A+ then Network+? Would it be wise to study for both at the same time? I couldn't find a Class for the Network+ so i'm currently looking for some Video tutorials for a beginner and helpful books but i would really like to find some Videos so i could see rather then just read full time and not get the feel for it.

Cause in the end what i'm really wanting to work towards is being a network engineer and i know it will be hard and a long road ahead but i'm ready and willing. I atleast want to get my foot in the door in the IT field when i move to Houston in january.

Thanks in advance guys i'm really glad i found this forum. Wish there were a chatroom or other ways to get in contact with others dealing with certifications on these subjects

I would study for the A+ and Net+ separately but in succession. Focus everything you can on each book. Set a schedule based on how long it will take you to read each chapter. Books with test question at the end are useful. Add one week at the end for a review. If you are passing practice tests, pick a date to take the test.

After completing Net +, I'd start looking for a job. Anything relating to IT. Tech Support and PC Repair are ideal. Also, start studying for the CCNA and a college degree because these are likely requirements for a CNE job.

Office politcs thanks for replying

I'll be moving to Houston at the end of January so by then i plan to have my A+ and my Net+ certs that way when i get there i can get into a cisco class cause right now i'm in a small town that doesn't offer Cisco training classes or anything the nearest city is st louis which is an hour and 30 minutes away.

I'll be finishin up my Degree in the end of December which would just be an Associates of arts degree but is that ok for the IT field or are they looking for a specific Computer or IT degree? I'm just trying to find the right path to a good starting job that can have potential to be a great job in the future and i think IT is the way to go with the growth potential and different avenues so hopefully i'm right

by searching job ads, I've concluded that typical CNE jobs ask for a 4 year degree in computer science. Second closest require 4 year degree in Computer Enigineering. Ocassionally, you will find ads that say computer or IT related degree.

after obtaining the a+ and net+, I'd focus more on getting a job in the feild. Most mid level jobs are going to require 2-4 years job experience.

useful links

Computer Network Engineer Career Summary

http://www.techist.com/forums/f42/ccna-labs-230265/

http://www.techist.com/forums/f42/top-10-tech-skills-2010-global-knowledge-226964/

Hey, some really good places to look.

Electronics Technician Association International. They have self-paced study programs you can do online. The Computer Service Technician, and CompTIA A+ are literally the same certs. (they roll over onto each other) Just they have a "higher" set as far as international recognition goes.

If your place is anything like WA, some Employers will ask specifically for A+, some for CST, and others will require both. (even though they are literally the same thing)

If you take the Certified Network Computer Technician through ETA-I. and get certified (self study is only $60 I believe) it's the equivalent to Network+. (Again, if you can pass the CNCT exam, you can turn around, and pass Network+. They are the same thing, read above remarks on A+)

Only diff between Network+ and CNCT is that they are non-OEM Specific. However, with very minor tweaks here and there, you can challenge the CCENT. and when you get the Computer Network Service Technician, you can challenge the CCNA.

The ESNT, Electronic Security Network Technician program, will also help set you up for the Security+, and the CCSP Certifications.

Self study programs for each of them are all $60. (but tests I have no idea of fees, yet.)

Just some things to think about/put in your tool box.

Also, ONLY DO ONE AT A TIME!!!! I'll be taking my A+ next quarter. But going by the stuff I've read, A+ is the "Basic Training" of the IT Industry as far as Networking etc. goes.

Also, as a Network Technician, you only need at ATA. (don't get an AS, unless you're planning to get your Bachelors, otherwise, if your state is anything like WA, they'll take the ATA over the AS, just because the ATA is ready to go immediately, and all schooling is focused soly on the industry)

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom