.net classes and cirtification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timothypir2

Solid State Member
does anyone have ideas on how to get a sellf taught 14 year old to become certified

I think I would need a class because my education is spoty but what do I need to do?

What do u mean by "certified" man? A good University education is what u need. All this certification stuff is nonsence. :-\.. Are u looking for a job at the age of 14?... At best u'll get a job and will have to work for free. b/c companies can hire students "in" university for dead cheap already.

so does ms ceritfied mean anything or not?

I would still like to repair some of my spoty education.

forinstance I don't understand all the static and virtual function stuff wich should be simple it was just never in any of the books I read

Before, going into C# and .NET and stuff, it is better to learn C/C++ man. Not b/c it is easier, but b/c it is more fundamental. Also, C/C++ is more powerful than C# of course.

When u are proficient in C/C++, you will completely understand the meaning of "static" with respect to data and objects, and how it differs. And there are many sources out there for these languages as they have been around for a very long time.

Anyways,
"static" means not changing, but how it translates into objects is different from data types. i.e. static variable vs. static member function of an object.

Object = instance of a Class, can have more than 1

Static variable of a class - indepent of each instance, common to all "instances" (i.e. objects). Maybe keeping "count" of the number of "objects" created of type Class.

Static function of a class - independent of each object. Functionality that is independent of local data of each instance. For example, getting the number of objects created. Or in a "Circle" class, getting the value of pi.

Local static variable wrt functions (C style) - variable retains values "between" function calls. It does not lose the value after function execution. Perhaps keep track of how many times the function was called.

Virtual functions - useful in giving an "interface". The actual implementation details are left to the subclasses. Alternatively, a "base" definition can be created which can be overidden by subclasses. The point is, the calling method gets an interface to call. Depending on the "instance" passed/created that is based on "interface", the correct "sub implementation" gets called. Very difficult for me to explain in one paragraph, as this is a big topic.

BaseClass myvar;
myvar = new SubClass();

myvar.MyClass(5);, will call the function implementation of SubClass and not of BaseClass. And MyClass in BaseClass has to be declared "virtual". Otherwise, it would not be able to "find" the correct sub implementation as the compiler will not create the needed fascility to find it. b/c think about it - myvar is of type BaseClass, otherwise how can it possibly traverse to another type???

my current education is this

I have played with snobol a lot

read and comleated sams teach yourself c++ in 24 hours

lots of java

lots of c++

some vb 2005

many hours of c# but I wouldn't say lots

I can read most programing languages

I edited my prev post to add more content, take a look at it again. Anyways, that's good that u are familar with a lot of languages. But, understanding something like C/C++ "well" and I mean really really well, will be of great help to you. I started learning C when I was in grade 9. So essentially your age. You are far ahead of me than I was at your age, since I only knew BASIC before grade 9. But I spent a few years exclusively with C/C++ without studying anything else, until I knew it very well. Even got to teach my grade 12 programming class when my teacher was away :p.. *nerd alert*.. j/k lol

But yeah, after going through 5 years of university also, something I firmly believe in is that, it's not knowing "as many" languages as possible that matters, but learning the fundamental languages well, and being good at it. So I strongly suggest that u commit urself to C/C++ and then Java, and then go to C#. In that order. Not b/c C# is the hardest, far from it. But b/c C/C++ is more fundamental. Understanding nuances of that will really help u. Then after all is said and done, u can learn assembly language :p..

asembly language is like chess it is not like programing

chess you lear to move a pawn three melenia later you become a master

programing you learn the basics three melenia later you are still working on the basics

you get what I mean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom