Need some advise, just got fired (not a rant)

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
Firstly, this is not a rant. Just trying to work out what to say next.

Yesturday, i got terminated from my job. Long story short is that there was some clash of personalities. I am not going into any further details. It's just bad karma.

So today, i brushing up my resume and looking for new work. Big question what do I say to people when I am applying for a new job. What is the best way to say "I got fired from my last job" at job internet when they bring up the question why I am no longer at my previous place of employment.

I'm not sure about Australia, but here in the US a prospective employer cannot ask your former place of employment about the conditions or reason for you leaving. They are allowed to ask the dates of your employment. Your previous employer may offer additional info, but you can request a potential employer to not contact any previous employer that you choose.

I went through a similar situation a while back. I have always been up front as to what happened but kept it in non-accusatory terms. "I was told that I was no longer needed." Which is true as I had done everything my boss wanted to have done. I did not go into detail as to how he fired me (gave me a hellish review that had nothing to do with reality but was enough to keep me from drawing unemployment).

That said, I am sorry to hear about this, mate. I wish you the best of luck in your job search.

Aw man that sucks, best of luck with a new job. If you have the available capital, you could make your own company :p

Basically, if you are legally obligated to say why you quit, tell them that your employer didnt click with your personality, or a BS reason that wont make you look like the bad guy

Currently at this stage, I am trying ot work on the line that there has been a clash of personalities. Not far from the truth there as I was a bit of an outsider in when it came down to the socail asspect of the company.

No - I wouldn't go there - nope. How about something like:

My skill set was not a good fit for my previous employer's needs but it looks like they'd be a good fit in your organization.

I was 'downsized'

I really enjoyed a lot of aspects about my last job but felt I was getting stale in the position.

Sorry to hear that buddy. We all go through tough times so don't be too hard on yourself. Just live and learn - everything that happens to us, good or bad is a learning experience and as long as you learn something from it and grow from it, it's a success.

If it were me, I would just say something like "While I enjoyed the opportunity to work at [Company Name] I realized that I could make the most of my skills at [whatever position you're applying for]." Sort of along the lines of what Janet said.

Update.....
Letter for reference did come though a few days later after posting this thread. It mentions that I my position just ran out of work. So I have been using that line along with the line of business was not doing too well and as i was the last person hired, I was the first person dropped.

Currently I am not putting my previous boss down as a phone reference. However the problem is that not of the job interviews I have been to have succeeded in landing me a job.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom