Need some advice... (college)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heres another; Computer Software Engineer. Wow, now I'm really confused. That sounds like, in brief, would be the same as Computer Programing.

i have the feeling software engineering is like coming up with the stuff that goes into the program, and like the structure, not a lot of actual programming.

no problem. yeah i'm a junior in high school and was looking into colleges and looking into different tech programs so i did a lot of research on what different programs existed.

I pretty much switched my major to computer science this past semester and I have yet to get into the real classes for it. But be prepared for a lot of math. Right now, I'm looking at Calculus 1, 2, and 3 along with differential equations, physics 1 and 2. But if you're going to a cc it shouldn't be as bad. Unless you decided to get a 4 year degree. With a computer science degree you could do almost anything that has to do with computers, but I mainly want to get into game development. But you get the idea.

I thought math wasn't as necessary as people thought it was for game development and stuff. I hate math >=[ .

math is neccesary depending on what field you are going into, i think with programming and CS (computer science) which is a very broad scope of a major, will require math because of all the mathmatical applications of computers, and basically without our extensive knowledge of math, computers wouldn't work how they work. also some college's have you doing course work that deals with the course itself right off the bat, but some are a more "traditional" school, and so they require all the calc, lab sciences, etc, even though there isn't a need for it in what you plan on doing with your life.

I thought math wasn't as necessary as people thought it was for game development and stuff. I hate math
Then you may not enjoy computer science. Reworded, computer science is the science of computing. At most universities, computer science is offered out of the engineering division, but it originally was a sub-field of mathematics.

+1 nice definition there. and yeah, that about explains it. unless your going into a quite specific field that requires little math then you'll be taking loads of math.

I'm doing a computer course atm, ant it's pretty good. I hear the pay's good too :)
It mainly focuses on networking and programming, and out of those two, I'd DEFINATELY pick networking. Programming can be pretty boring, but networking is hard enough to keep it's flair, but easy enough so you're not struggling through it. Programming can be very difficult too (even the lecturers will agree on that), most people doing this course fail the programming side at least once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom