Need to build an IT Toolkit

Status
Not open for further replies.

murdocsvan

Web Programmer
basically i am going to start my own IT Technical help from home as a side project of my own from work. what i aim to do is to provide people with advice and technical support in a home environment. for example someone may have bought a new graphics card and need someone to install it. i aim to provide technical help such as this, sucxh as upgrading, replacing or repairing computer parts for peoples home computers.

now...

to start, im going to need a toolkit. i dont mind spending a lot, as long as i have everything i need in, and no more. im not going to buy tools im unlikely too need.

if anyone could link to some sites where they sell such kits, or give a list of tools i may need, it will be muchos appreciatted. thanks in advance :)

$opening = "::wavewave::";

echo = "If all you want to do is upgrade and repair computers, there is not a lot you will need, and I can't think of any place that sells the complete kit. Basically the only tools you'll need are a few screw drivers, a pair of needle nose pliers, and a normal pair of pliers. Every thing else you'll need is testing supplies, to find out exactly what is wrong with the computer.

At least one tube of heat sink grease, and a test part of each part in the computer is always helpful to have. The test parts do not have to be great, or even new, as long as they work, you just need it to fit in the computer. The one you'll need most is the video card. Extra screws will always come in handy, as well as jumpers, and C-MOS batteries (again, used is more than sufficient). A used power supply will come in handy, for when a machine has been struck by lightning, or just will not come on at all, can use it to test every thing else. A very important tool to have is a USB to Ethernet adapter.

A few other testing supplies is always nice to have, but will not need them most trips. A power supply test will come in handy quite a few times. An electrical current test meter will be needed every so often.

Physical problems with computers are not a common problem, software issues are. Having an external hard drive, and several USB's will prove to be your greatest tools. Also an external DVD burner with several blank DVD's and CD's will be very useful as well, since you'll do almost all your work on site (as far as I know). Customers will want there information backed up before much work is done on their computers, then sell the Disc's to the customer with their back up data.";

echo = "That's all the advice that pops into mind ATM. Hope at least some of this helps you out! Good Luck and let us know how things are fairing, it might give us the courage to do it ourselves.";

echo = "If all you want to do is upgrade and repair computers, there is not a lot you will need, and I can't think of any place that sells the complete kit. Basically the only tools you'll need are a few screw drivers, a pair of needle nose pliers, and a normal pair of pliers. Every thing else you'll need is testing supplies, to find out exactly what is wrong with the computer.

At least one tube of heat sink grease, and a test part of each part in the computer is always helpful to have. The test parts do not have to be great, or even new, as long as they work, you just need it to fit in the computer. The one you'll need most is the video card. Extra screws will always come in handy, as well as jumpers, and C-MOS batteries (again, used is more than sufficient). A used power supply will come in handy, for when a machine has been struck by lightning, or just will not come on at all, can use it to test every thing else. A very important tool to have is a USB to Ethernet adapter.

A few other testing supplies is always nice to have, but will not need them most trips. A power supply test will come in handy quite a few times. An electrical current test meter will be needed every so often.

Physical problems with computers are not a common problem, software issues are. Having an external hard drive, and several USB's will prove to be your greatest tools. Also an external DVD burner with several blank DVD's and CD's will be very useful as well, since you'll do almost all your work on site (as far as I know). Customers will want there information backed up before much work is done on their computers, then sell the Disc's to the customer with their back up data.";

echo = "That's all the advice that pops into mind ATM. Hope at least some of this helps you out! Good Luck and let us know how things are fairing, it might give us the courage to do it ourselves.";

Also extra good power, monitor cables etc. could come in handy for troubleshooting

wow! theres some really useful stuff there! ill definately put those on my list of thinga to buy. i also just thought that anti-static wrist strap will be very useful, and they are generally very cheap. can you give me any idea on the size screw drivers id need? i have a kit at the moment which comprises of a handle and 5 different type of head bits. things is its magnetic, so i think ill need to get an unmagnetised one. thanks a lot though youve been a real help Program dude!

and also, what about 2 sticks of ram, one being ddr and the other ddr2? will that be helpful?

echo = "The anti-static wrist strap wont do much good, as long as you don't rub your feet across carpet as you walk, and be sure to touch the metal casing of the computer tower before sticking you hands in. I've been working on computers for a long while now, and have only shocked one stick of RAM and a mother board, but that was 4 years ago and without touching the metal of the computer case. The screw driver can be any normal size really (carry a set of small screw drivers as well if you plan to work on laptops), as long as they are magnetic, they will be fine. Those screws falling in those hard-to-reach places are the least amount of fun, if you do not have a magnet of some type. Don't worry, the magnet will not hurt the computer, just don't let them touch the floppy discs, the floppy drive wont be hurt.

A stick of DDR and DDR2 RAM will help out a lot. Especially since now a days they are breaking quickly. Also carry a stick of SDRam, the older version that has two slits instead of one. Guess it's true what they say, 'They don't make them like they used to.'";

echo = "The anti-static wrist strap wont do much good, as long as you don't rub your feet across carpet as you walk, and be sure to touch the metal casing of the computer tower before sticking you hands in. I've been working on computers for a long while now, and have only shocked one stick of RAM and a mother board, but that was 4 years ago and without touching the metal of the computer case. The screw driver can be any normal size really (carry a set of small screw drivers as well if you plan to work on laptops), as long as they are magnetic, they will be fine. Those screws falling in those hard-to-reach places are the least amount of fun, if you do not have a magnet of some type. Don't worry, the magnet will not hurt the computer, just don't let them touch the floppy discs, the floppy drive wont be hurt.

A stick of DDR and DDR2 RAM will help out a lot. Especially since now a days they are breaking quickly. Also carry a stick of SDRam, the older version that has two slits instead of one. Guess it's true what they say, 'They don't make them like they used to.'";

okay cool im sure i can find some cheap sticks on ebay. as for static, all i did before was lick my finger, then touch the metal at the bottom of nearby radiator.

btw what is with the 'echo=' and 'wavewave'?

echo = "Lick your finger, and touch the bottom of a nearby radiator? I think that would be funny to watch! :laughing: I don't think every one has a radiator in their homes though.";

$historyOfTheWave = "I used to play Final Fantasy XI (FFXI = MMORPG) several years back. I was a TaruTaru (a cute, child like race with big ears), and since I like to do things differently than the norm, I wouldn't use the built in emotes and created my own. ::wavewave:: was the first one, and became a recognizing mark of me. So I'd use it in every game, and all across the internet. Basically just a sign of greeting that lets you know I'm me :) ";

$defineEcho = "Echo is a PHP code used to print to the screen. When creating a PHP enriched web site, you can't see the 'echo = "";' information, you only see what is between the "" marks. Also, while on the subject, any thing with a dollar sign in front of it is a variable. A piece of memory that has information stored in it, which in this case is anything between the "" marks. So if I type 'echo = $opening' (the variable from the top) it will print ::wavewave:: to the screen.";

echo = "The reason I thread like this? I don't like being normal, there are just to many normal people out there.";

echo = $historyOfTheWave.$defineEcho;

RJ45 loop back testers are handy, you can make one easily out of some spare Cat5. Buy a laptop! I do this kind of work all the time and one of the tools I use the most is my laptop, to test wireless conections (you will be setting alot of thoes up), backup data to external hard drives, create memos and generally organize things based upon your client. Keep a couple of extra lengths of Cat5 in your trunk along with a sharp folding knife, duct and electrical tape, a few metal coat hangers (for cable drops), a stud finder (for the same reason), 2 sizes of flash lights, some cleaning solution (like denatured alcohol) + papertowels of coffee filters, sharpie marker (a MUST), a digital camera, and some cans of compressed air (dont leave these in your car).
Thats a rough list of things I have in my car minus the standard kit of screwdrivers, alen wrenches, star keys and what not.
Keep a written record of everything you do at every clients location and save them. I do this in a binder I carry with me everywhere.

**** murdocsvan you had the same idea as me.

This thread has helped me out alot to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom