Much happier career change :)

Fusionman

Beta member
So I was a sales consultant at my local OfficeMax for 6 months or more and I just recently called it quits. Managers were pretty surprised at my decision until I calmly told them that I want a career of troubleshooting computers, which I have enjoyed since I was 14. In my mid twenties now, I have decided to study for my A+ certification and go back to school for a possible degree in Computer Engineering. Wish I could of made this decision earlier lol.

I was in a very similar situation to yours. I was working at a school teaching logic to junior high students. I loved the subject, but... teaching young kids isn't my calling. So I applied in the same district as IT support and got the job. Been here over a year now and loving every second of it. Currently going through a computer science / computer information systems BS program and plan on doing server administration or database management soon. Loving every second if it!

Welcome to the forums btw. I see you're new 'round here :tongue:

Your degree will get you further then simply an A+, Network+ and Security+ Exam.

Find a decent degree and look at Cisco or Microsoft or Linux certifications. Don't waste time on 200$ exams.
They are 200$ because thats all they give you, 200$ jobs.

Seriously so inspiring. I am 17 and i want nothing more than to pursue a career in computer engineering. I want to got to Harvey Mudd for a degree in computer science after high school.

Awesome to hear nightelf,

The best advise I can tell ANYONE getting in IT is find a hobby.
Something totally not related to computers at all.
earn a musical instrument, get into cars, bikes or model airplanes, anything like that.

When you get stressed or something didn't go right, you want to have an escape, something you can do that takes you away from a desk.

I plan on going back to school in the Fall of this year but in the meantime I figured it would be best to get a certification under my belt and use the experience/certification to pay for an all out education towards a degree. Then see where those choices take me :)

earn a musical instrument, get into cars, bikes or model airplanes, anything like that.

When you get stressed or something didn't go right, you want to have an escape, something you can do that takes you away from a desk.

I somewhat relate to this. My work uses all M$ products.. so I come home and use Linux and OS X :tongue:

I somewhat relate to this. My work uses all M$ products.. so I come home and use Linux and OS X :tongue:
lovin how used the $ sign there xD

When you get stressed or something didn't go right, you want to have an escape, something you can do that takes you away from a desk.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
My hobby is Cosomology, you could say. I love pondering the universe, reading about it, learning etc. it's just...a never ending fascination. But computing is also my hobby (mostly building them and playing world of warcraft)
<!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom