Merging Business and Technology

BlueEconomics

Beta member
I am a recent college grad with a degree in business, and I have a very strong interest in technology. I am good with most aspects of computers, and I even took a few classes on programming with Java and HTML back in high school.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for a good way for me to combine my business knowledge with my interest in technology? I am open to going back to school to get a degree or get certs if these are necessary.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The IT Director another school district around my area has a business degree.. Places like that might be something you're looking for.

Hi,

I'd suggest a degree or professional qualification in Business Information Systems (sometimes just called Information Systems or Computer Information Systems).

This discipline looks at Information Systems within organisations; focusing on the software, people, data, procedures and hardware that work together to provide the information systems essential to running an organisation.

It usually shares much of the same course content from the Computer Science discipline (e.g. theoretical, computational aspects as well as programming) including course content from the Information Technology discipline (i.e. the software and hardware) but it places greater emphasis on organisational and human factors - in other words, business processes and the people within organisations, and how they interact with Information Systems and the Technology or IT which makes Information Systems possible.

This is one of the disciplines which I studied at Keele University (UK) - BSc (Dual Honours) in Information Systems & Psychology.

More recently in the UK, we've seen the introduction of the ITMB degree (Information Technology Management for Business) which has been designed in partnership with large IT companies for those who are interested in both Business Management and IT. This is a more vocational / practical course as it usually involves collaborating and speaking with people in industry on a regular basis (presentations, video-conferencing and meeting in person) as well as 6 months to 1 year of practical work in industry as part of the degree. Thus this degree provides all the skills and the exposure necessary for a head start in industry after completing the course.

I read an article from UKCES (UK Commission for Employment and Skills) which reported that 100% of ITMB graduates in the UK secured a job in industry within 6-months or went on to further study in the field. I don't believe this course is being offered outside the UK as of yet however, and only about 14 Universities in the UK are currently offering this degree course at present.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom