MCDST

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
I am prepairing to take MCDST, 070-271 and 070-272.

All the reading and videos were like, yawn. The actual practice tests, I found confusing. It's between two answers, and I can't decide which, and I usually pick the wrong one. I'm a freelancer, not a book geek. I don't follow a list of things to do. I just DO.

I've worked a lot with XP Pro. This is easy, but then when you answer the question, its like, huh?

Should I just try and think it through while running a virtual machine of XP?

Ya, i've found for me it is helpful not only to answer the questions, but actually do what the question is asking on a computer (or VM if you don't have an XP machine). Sounds like you may need to do the same thing where you not only study but while doing the practice questions do that task on a machine.

May i also suggest doing a more current certification like Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Administrator by taking the 70-686 exam. Sicne you haven't take the MCDST yet i personally would take an MCST or MCITP exam because they are more current and test you on current OS systems instead of the old Xp (which won't be supported much longer. Microsoft Certifications expire once the technologies aren't supported any longer. I think technically Xp will be supported for while though - but just a thought.

Large businesses can't move to Vista because all the 10,000 computers run XP and their software only run on XP. But yes, they do need to wake up.

I'll ask my counselor about that.

I have a VM of XP Pro, Vista Ultimate and 7 Ultimate. As well as Ubuntu.

I agree and i'm not saying an MCDST wouldn't be worth anything.

I'm just making an observation that for your money would would get more 'work' out of an updated certification. Yes MCDST will be worth something, but over the life of your certification I believe you would get more 'work' out of an updated certification because sooner or later companies will move to an updated OS and eventually will leave Xp behind.

For your money say you'll spend 250 on these two exams (125 x2) for the MCDST, you are realistically only going to get about 2 to 3 years use because corporations will be moving away from XP.

Opposed to MCST or MCITP will probably get about 5 years use.

True. Till we die, you have to take a new certification every few years to stay on top of things.

good reason for this is you should start to see job postings asking for people with the newer education. This also shows that you are continuing education along with any other experience being gained.

hot certs prolly involve

virtualization - vmware, ms

security - sans

microsoft tech - sever 2008, sql, exchange

project management - itil, pmp

I die at the Server Empire. I know my way around it, but very slim. I do not want to go that route.

I'm more of hands on person than a service desk. On TF, I just answer what I already know, not what I don't or can't think the answer of.

The problem here is that there are not many posting in this field. They want IT Administrators. Which I am not capable of doing, requiring a bachelor's degree. I already had enough problems in school for my 2-year degree. Most of them with concentration problems.

We aren't saying you shouldn't take the MCDST exams, i was just offering my advice of taking a more up-to-date exam.

Either way, whichever exam you end up taking your marketability will skyrocket after passing those exams and having that on your resume.

For hands on i would definately suggest A+, net+ and an OS certification like the MCDST in XP or MCTS for windows 7.

As for the server administration that would be in the realm of Active Directory which would require an MCITP: Server Administrator (which is server 2008) or an MCSE (which is server 2000 or 2003). I'm personally going the server administrator route.

I'm a freelancer, not a book geek. I don't follow a list of things to do. I just DO.

I usually suggest that people plan their work before they start the task. By reading help files and other documentation, you may save some time by knowing the best way to do something. Documentation contains lesser known functionailty that may not be found if the person just dives right in.

What jobs are you freelancing now? i think web design is a prime canidate for free lance work. elance.com, rent-a-coder.com, and freelance.com are good resources for this.

@Lex- I did take the A+ Cert in college, in the beginning of my 2nd year. I did practice tests and studied for it, but I was a few points away from passing. Even the instructor was shocked.

@Office- I actually know a lot first hand, and looking stuff up. That's why they have an "IT Team", you bounce off stuff. No one knows everything. I just volunteer at a local computer place right now, to gain experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom