Masters OR PhD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyrenderX2

Beta member
Okay, I realize this is a very general question with no clear-cut answer, but here it goesÂ…

Should I get a Masters degree, or go for a PhD? I currently have a BS in Computer Science, and am one year into my Masters degree program. I’m wondering now if I should switch over to the PhD program. I intend to get a job in the industry (at Google if I’m lucky  ), and have no interest in working in academics once I graduate.

IÂ’m just trying to get a feel for what employers are looking for. Also, IÂ’d like to know the general payscale difference between the two degrees. Any suggestions on how to go about doing this? Thanks for any help.

I'd say either way you're sitting pretty sweet. PHD definitly would be better, but I dont know about the extra years of school and the costs. You definitly dont have to worry about getting a job with a masters degree, it won't be hard at all.

I'm 18 so don't take my advise too seriously when it comes to jobs in the industry. I'd say though, if you want to do a PHD and think you can, what the **** go for it. Getting a job will be very easy, and you can probably negotiate a better salary because of it. Also who doesnt want the doctor title, that would be badass.

Hmm, I thought you needed a masters to apply for a PHD program? But anyways, you should just keep going till you hit the PHD and everything. Once you have a PHD you don't look for a job, the jobs come to you lol. Good luck on the whole Google thing, especially with the GLAT.

glat.jpg

GLAT

Yeah, you cannot go for your PhD without a masters. So ofcourse you will need to finish your masters program, then apply to a doctorate program and go two more years. Most people with doctorates teach or work in research and teach :). So you would be better off finishing your masters then apply for the job, and see if google will pay for your PhD after a couple years working there.

Actually, you can go for a PhD without an MS. Getting an MS first is more common, but not necessarily required. If you love research, go for the PhD. Otherwise, I'd avoid it. Keep in mind that the average time spent pursuing a PhD after obtaining an MS is approximately 4 years for engineering and applied science fields. Also, many employers will not hire PhD's for non-research related jobs. The typical view is that PhD's are not pragmatic and are more concerned with theory. At least this is the view the influential Joel Spolsky holds.

I stand corrected, it is possible to get just a PhD after your bachelors degree. Although I believe it takes less time if you already have a masters. It is funny though, I have never met anyone with a PhD that did not have atleast one masters degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom