Linux+

Status
Not open for further replies.

myke_test1

Solid State Member
I know a lot of people say go straight to network+ after you finish the A+ exam but i also hear a lot of people saying that linux+ is a easy cert to obtain and i have a little dealings with linux. I jus think it would look good on a resume even if it won't get you a job by itself a lone

Has anybody here got this cert? How as the material compared to A+ or even Network+

I have it, and unless you specifically going for jobs that require you know linux (mostly server related usually) it most likely wouldn't be worth it. As far as the test, have you worked with linux? If so have you worked from the command line and are you comfortable with the command line? If you havent used linux before remember that although it may look like windows graphically the similarities end there. Also there are different types of linux (fedora and debian) which is unlike windows because it is based on the same underlying code.

Yeah i worked with linux a long time ago i ran the SUSE. I'm just now starting again with linux since i finally took a trip back home to get my laptop so now i have something to run linux on. I mostly just want to work with Networks be it windows or linux thats my main goal with all these certifications and degrees i'm getting. If linux is best for that then yeah i want it and i kind of think it would set me apart from the crowd. Do you think? Also do you know any good online tutorials or even free video tutorials on it.

I've used linux before many years ago and i use to work from the command line when i use to putty into my friends computer but now i just have to get back in the swing of things with linux. So you think i should do linux then network+ ? Cause i'm trying to get atleast 2 certifications before december i'm almost ready to take my A+ exam i'm finishing up my studies for the practical exam now i'm comfortable with the essentials so i'll say in 3 weeks i'll be ready for all of it

Yes by all means, and yes it will set you apart from a large majority of the IT crowd. I would say go after the Network+ and Linux+ primarily and have the A+ your third priority. I say that because anyone that passes Net and Lin+ (at least in my mind) is more skilled (for lack of a better word) than someone who just passed the A+---don't take that as me insulting those who have the A+ because I did also. The test is supposed to be vendor neutral but when I took it I found it focused heavily on Fedora

Ok thanks for all your info and help cause i really think it would be a great thing to get this linux cert cause i hear a lot of servers are switching to linux at big companies and i plan to be moving to houston so maybe it would help me with finding a job.

How did you go about studying for your linux+ cert? Was it just reading the book? If so could you recommend a good book? video tutorials?

I know i ask a lot of question but i'm 25 and i kind think sometimes i'm running out of time or i've started to late chasing this IT and Network Engineer dream of mine...............how old were you when you got the Linux cert and how long did it take you to study for it ? If you don't mind me asking

Ok thanks for all your info and help cause i really think it would be a great thing to get this linux cert cause i hear a lot of servers are switching to linux at big companies and i plan to be moving to houston so maybe it would help me with finding a job.

How did you go about studying for your linux+ cert? Was it just reading the book? If so could you recommend a good book? video tutorials?

I know i ask a lot of question but i'm 25 and i kind think sometimes i'm running out of time or i've started to late chasing this IT and Network Engineer dream of mine...............how old were you when you got the Linux cert and how long did it take you to study for it ? If you don't mind me asking

Don't worry about asking questions, believe me when I was your age (god that makes me feel old for even saying that considering I am 34) I had a lot of good people I could ask questions and basically pick their brains.

I was 29 when I took and passed it. Its changed a little since then but nothing to drastic.

I have always been a linux fan and have used it since Red Hat 4 on my personal machines (except my gaming systems which I am forced to run win). The way I learned it was to basically use the command line for everything. There are a lot of study guides and books out there for the test, and the different flavors of linux in general but to be honest I don't really know which is better than another. If I were searching for books on linux I would search on amazon and check out the ratings or I would go to linux.org.

And certs aren't only for the up and comers, in the IT field new certs come out every so often and of course you'll need to get them, or you'll get around to certs that you want but have experience requirements. I am studying currently for the CISSP exam, and figure I'll be ready in another year or so. Learning is a life long thing--especially in IT

I greatly apprieciate you answering all my questions cause its hard to find people in forums actually willing to read your post and answer them without giving you the basic "Search for it on google" response.

What certs do you currently have now? What part of the IT field do you work in? How long have you been in the IT field? I know i'm going to have to start off at the entry level position for atleast 2 years before i actually get an "ok" paying job that is the only downer i guess but its not that bad. I think in Houston entry level runs around 14hr or something I HOPE i've been researching it but come up with different answers every time

I'm going into the city today so i guess i'll go buy some books on Comptia Linux+ and maybe Network+ but Professer Messer has videos on Net+ so i might not get the book just yet but i really want that Linux one cause i think it would be a quick one before Net+. I'm usually fast at learning things when its just the command line. Hopefully by the time i make it to houston in December or January i will have atleast 2 certs and try to take a class in Cisco cause i hear thats where the big bucks come into play and i know i just won't be able to learn that by sitting at home with a book.

I have the following certs: A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, CEH, and MCSA. I do plan on taking the red hat cert within next 6 months and CISSP within the next year or so. I do have an associates in Information Technology but did go back to school and am working for my Bach. degree in information tech with concentration in security. Eventually I would love to get my masters. Basically in my opinion the better the degree the higher the pay and the less work you have to do.

I have been in IT since I was 19 (am 35 now), started as a bench tech. When I completed my associates I was fortunate enough to get a job with a local telecom as a network security auditor (the interview was more responsible for getting the job than the degree--he grilled me on various techniques) but that company was a casualty of the tech bubble bursting. So after that I ended up moving to Las Vegas and starting a company for myself. We did just about everything imaginable, from break/fix to pen testing. We moved there and the business was founded in 01, ended up selling the business in 08 when we decided to move back to NY (hard to raise a young child in Vegas). And since moving back I got a job with an insurance company as a help desk admin.

Cisco certs are very good to have. I really should get the CCSP. With a cisco cert (or a few) you are almost assured to get a job. I am the same, I hate learning from books and I need to be doing it. What I might suggest is buying a used cisco router on ebay or something and just set it up at home and play around with it

You seem to have every cert i have question about except for the cisco one. Do you think i should just jump into Ccna right after A+ or should i just go to Linux+ than Network+ before i take that big step? Is it really possible to learn Ccna before January? I looked on ebay for the routers i might just buy one like you suggest if it would get me more familiar and help with the learning process. I also seen some people selling video tutorials the cbt versions on that to the certs i need i might grab two of those since they are only 6 dollars. I don't know i guess i'm just a knowledge fiend when i find something i'm very interested in i guess its my addictive personality.

You live in las Vegas. I was planning on moving there in january but decided on Houston instead i'm just trying to go where the most IT jobs are with high job employment opportunities and you're right it would be hard to raise a child in Vegas thats one of the reason my fiance erased that city off the list

Vegas would be great if I was single and could live like I was single.

If you are like me then I would say go with the actual router. I learn much better being hands on than reading about something.

About the A+, do you plan on being a bench/field tech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom