The life of a contractor

cowboytechie

Beta member
So I'm currently working for a big corporation in a call center. I troubleshoot a software that stores use to process special orders. I started March 2017 approaching my 1 year. My contract is technically one year so not sure what I'm going to do next. I had an interview with the company in November to no longer be a contractor. I received news today that I didn't get the job and they couldn't tell me why I didn't get the job. I have had perfect attendance and I'm currently “ranked” #2 in my department. I'm scared to leave and make the wrong decision, but I suppose it's almost my time. I know it's a stretch but was wondering if anybody knows any good companies to work for in North Austin/Round Rock TX area for tech support. I don't want to start over I have put so much time and effort into this companies with no PTO, no paid holidays, always on time and never tardy.

That's a bummer. In the future, when evaluating a contractor position, inquire as to whether it is a contract-to-hire position. Typically, this means you get hired as a contractor for 90 days, after which, if your work is satisfactory, you are hired as a permanent employee. I've taken jobs like that 3 times in my career and in all 3 cases was hired permanent after 90 days.

When in a contract-to-hire position and you aren't offered a permanent position after 90 days, then move on. Don't wait an entire year to find out they aren't going to hire you.

This is the main reason I won't do contract work. I've got a friend I used to work with who calls me up once or twice a year filling me in on some great opportunity with this company or that one he is working for. He tells me about the pay and how easy the work is and all that, and them I ask him, "Is it contract?" When he says yes then I tel him I am not interested.

My current job is not ideal and is not what I would rather be doing, but most things that I would rather do that I have the prerequisites for are all contract jobs in my area. Having no benefits and no kind of job security is a huge NO for me.

Back
Top Bottom