Just finished high school...

ITdude

Beta member
And now, if I'm lucky, I'll get a free position in college. If not, gonna have to get a ****ty job. I have six choices (we only have one college in this country):

Electronics Engineering
Computer Programming
Information Systems
Computer Engineering
Telecommunications

I would like to know more about what each field can offer. Here's my current mindset/information:

Electronics Engineering: creating computer parts, mostly physics knowledge required.
Computer Programming: writing code according to what my boss tells me, in cooperation with the other members of the project, whether games or software.
Information Systems: sounds like something about MS Office...
Computer Engineering: sounds like something related to assembling PCs, maintaining servers installing software...
Telecommunications: sounds like network management, probably managing networks in an office, though I'm not sure if there's much to manage after it's set up, unless there are some problems, which mostly happen after changing equipment or reinstalling software.

I'm finishing my junior year in Computer Engineering and I can assure you you don't need a degree to assemble pc's for a living.

You should look up to see what the description for each of the majors and their course descriptions to see exactly what they entail; sometimes they're different from college to college.

@mac_attack You need a degree to operate a seat belt nowadays. Believe me, I checked the job lists tens of times during the past few months...

@carnageX Well that's the thing, the concept of "technology" is not really "advanced" in this country, so there's not much info on that. I've tried asking in our forums, but I pretty much get answers like "oh it's so cool, I took it and I love it man!," which isn't what I'm looking for obviously.

Does your college have a website you can look up the majors' information and the course descriptions? Or at least a course catalog? Or a phone number you could call the department secretaries to ask for more info?

You're right on EE and CP; EE is electrical components (not just computers), and CP is programming. Information Systems is usually IT stuff, Telecom is usually phone systems / networks, and Computer Engineering can vary from one school to the next.

Like I said, try to get more info from your specific college.

Does your college have a website you can look up the majors' information and the course descriptions? Or at least a course catalog? Or a phone number you could call the department secretaries to ask for more info?

You're right on EE and CP; EE is electrical components (not just computers), and CP is programming. Information Systems is usually IT stuff, Telecom is usually phone systems / networks, and Computer Engineering can vary from one school to the next.

Like I said, try to get more info from your specific college.

I see, in that case I'm not sure if I'd be interested in either of them.

I've looked into more old forum posts, from last year, and here's what I've found:

Information Systems 1st year:

Information Technologies
Mathematics
Information Technologies practice
Database Design

Mathematics,
Physics,
Engineering and Computer Graphics,
Programming
Information Control Practice

Information Systems 2nd year:

Chance Theory and Statistics
Discrete Mathematics
Information Systems
Databases and Systems
Operation Systems / Algorithms and Data Structures
Database and Programming Practice

Management
Computer Networks and Communications
Information Systems Design
Organization Communications / Psychology
Hypertext Systems and Internet Technologies
Information Systems Design Practice

Information Systems 3rd year:

Economics
Philosophy / Sociology
Open Source Software
Information Systems Quality and Testing
Client Information Management Technology

Business Management Systems
Law
Project Design and Management
Electronic Commercial (...?)

I am not really attracted to databases, HTML, Mathematics and Economics, and I'm not attracted to programming when they teach how to write mathematical formulas in code (this is what they do here).

Telecommunications 1st year:

Mathematics
Physics
Electrical Engineering
Engineering and Computer Graphics
Information Technologies
Electronics Practice

Phylosophy
Mathematics
Electronics
Sociology
Signals and Chains
Information Technology Practice

Telecommunications 2nd year:

Communication Basics
Business Communications
Chance Theory
Analog Devices
Digital Devices
Digital Signal Processing
Lines of Communication
Measurements in Telecommunication Networks and Practice

Microprocessors
Information Delivery Systems
Digital Commutation Systems
Data Transfer Technologies
Access Network Technologies
Computer Design Tools Practice

Telecommunications 3rd year:

Mobile Networks
Computer Networks
Digital Sound and Video Technologies
Telecommunication Network Management
Management
Law

Economics
Intellectual Networks
Wireless Telecommunications
Information Security In Telecommunication Networks
Telecommunication Networks Project

Well there's a lot of communication stuff in there. I'm afraid that I'm gonna hate all the terms in our language, as nobody uses it anyway. The rest, well I'd say I'm not too interested in quite a lot of what they teach here, at least according to the titles. I have no idea what they would be teaching, I wonder what that would be.

Computer Engineering 1st year:

Mathematics
Physics
Electrical Engineering
Engineering and Computer Graphics
Information Technologies
Information Technologies Practice

Communication Basics
Business Communication
Mathematics
Electronics
Measurement and Metrology Basics
Computer Peripherals
Technology Practice

Computer Engineering 2nd year:

Chance Theory
Automation Devices
Digital Devices
Operation Systems
Programmable Logic Controllers
Computer Design Tools Practice

Philosophy
Sociology
Digital Signal Processing
Programming
Databases
Computer Networks
Computers and Their Structure
Computer Network Installation Practice

Computer Engineering 3rd year:

Law
Business
Telecommunications Systems
Computer Networks Design
Embedded Systems and Their Design

Economics
Computer Networks Information Security
Script Programming
Embedded Real Time Systems Programming
Computer Networks Administration
Signal Processors

A lot of "odd," more in the sense of "low level" programming. Databases, quite a few odd subjects too.

---------------

Well, I'm pretty much looking for any comments about these, as I don't know what quite a few subjects even mean, and what would be my perspectives. I'm more interested in what I would be interested rather than what's good for the money, so I'm looking for more detailed information I guess. I couldn't manage to get any more detailed information, as I've told you what the responses are when I asked on the forums...

Back
Top Bottom