Is just A+ alright?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrYpToNiC

Solid State Member
So Ive been wonder what are the chances of getting a decent job with just an A+ certification? Im currently in school working on my associates in computer repair and networking but right now Im taking an A+ cert class and am in desperate need of a job. So should I be able to get a job with just an A+ cert?

A+ is considered the equivalent of 6 months experience. But...most places are still going to take someone with experience over someone with A+. A degree in MIS is going to trump bother though. I only have my degree, but have around 5 years experience now, and still dont have any certs. So it all depends. But yes, A+ does look good.

So Ive been wonder what are the chances of getting a decent job with just an A+ certification? Im currently in school working on my associates in computer repair and networking but right now Im taking an A+ cert class and am in desperate need of a job. So should I be able to get a job with just an A+ cert?

My advice is to get a job before you get a cert.

Best thing to go for is if you have a restaurant near by be a bus boy like i do.

i get 9.50 an hour part time with no certs :D

but yeah if you can't get a tech job then get just a job job cause people will hire someone who has had experience in the work place over someone who's going for a first time job.

I've been working for about a year and half now in a warehouse troubleshooting pc's and putting them back together. kinda sucks now though b/c the project i was working on stopped and now I'm shipping parts. right now I'm making 12.75 hour. when i get my a+ ( i passed essentials :). next is the depot tech) i get a raise to 15/hour and i'll be troubleshooting laptops and fixing them.

Certifications, much like diplomas, are simply paper. It helps to create a front, but in the end, it drives down to how you present yourself in an interview. When you look for a job, look for something that you can relate to or add a positive work environment to. Too often I see people just going after a job for the sake of a job. I realize that sometimes there are limited choices, but really try to find something that you are interested in, rather than something that you just hope to obtain while looking for something else.

certs can work for you
diplomas and degrees work better

experience is key imo

how long have you been into/running computers because you like to?
in my interview i could honesly say and did say:

"i have 12 years experience. 11.5 years was not in a work enviroment, however i started on DOS and worked my way up through operating systems and programs on all platforms. .5 years was a apprentice for a final project where my group diagnosted a network and made suggestions for improvment." i then handed him the 98%term paper to show him my cababilites.
lost G.D. 2% because of colour scheme for our graphs!!! gah!!! yes it was a yellow background....

mind you i have a 3yr Networking diploma and CCNA 1&2 which i recieved during my schooling which i brought to that interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom