Job Security?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gula187

In Runtime
How good is job security in the IT field? is it like all other jobs or is it better because computers is constantly changing?

All depends on the industry. If you work for the government, you are more likely to survive the downturn than working for say, GM.

Yeah - and really it depends on your company. Big companies (GM, Cisco, etcetera) are ALWAYS more dangerous than small companies.

If Cisco or Nortel has a bad quarter they will just let 3000 people go on a whim. It happens often.

The problem with smaller companies is that they can go under - which is happening lately - happened to me last year.

however the company I am with currently is "immune" to the economy. We do insurance. Insurance is always necessary. We ride on the backs of hundreds (or thousands) of other companies - I don't know how many we serve really. Anyways, if one of them goes under, it doesn't matter because we get the business for whoever takes their place!

Heh, i work for the health department. And pretty much at this point, 1 senior admin is retiring, and the other is out on extended leave for his health, and odds are he wont be coming back. So i might be in for a promotion.

Yeah - and really it depends on your company. Big companies (GM, Cisco, etcetera) are ALWAYS more dangerous than small companies.

If Cisco or Nortel has a bad quarter they will just let 3000 people go on a whim. It happens often.

The problem with smaller companies is that they can go under - which is happening lately - happened to me last year.

however the company I am with currently is "immune" to the economy. We do insurance. Insurance is always necessary. We ride on the backs of hundreds (or thousands) of other companies - I don't know how many we serve really. Anyways, if one of them goes under, it doesn't matter because we get the business for whoever takes their place!

My father is a computer programmer/analyst at an insurance company. He said 2008 would have been a great overall year except that their stock market investments didn't do so hot.

As to the OP: If you are in a medium sized business with a history of long employment, I'd say that's a safe place. Large and small businesses are more dangerous for the obvious reasons people have already posted. If you work for a University like I do, funded by the government and am the only LSP for the entire department (does all tech related work for entire Math Department; no assistants), I'd say you would be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom